Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New buyer in Wigan, electrician struggles!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanPaul

Feb 8, 2021
Uk
Hi, I'm Dan and I'm due to take delivery of a model 3 very soon. I'm hoping a fellow Wiganer might be able to help me out with contact details for a local (decent) electrician that's actually willing to come and install a charger! I have a garage that already has power with it's own dedicated circuit, via armoured cabling, but it seems like every electrician I contact is miraculously allergic to money. I'll get an initial reply when I tell them I need a charger install and when I follow up with details they disappear off the face of the earth. I would prefer something like a rolec or wallbox pulsar rather than Tesla's own. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

All you probably need is a 14-50 socket installed. The charger is already installed in your Tesla. You only need a place to plug in your cable.

Things might be different in Uk than the colonies, but here many would consider that a simple DIY or handy man job.

Do you need ot pull permits for this?

(moderator note)

Hi Dan, welcome to TMC!

Since your question is "where is the best place in X for Y" (where X is in Europe), I have moved your post to the specific subforum for Europe. Hopefully someone will be able to answer you there.

All you probably need is a 14-50 socket installed. The charger is already installed in your Tesla. You only need a place to plug in your cable.

Things might be different in Uk than the colonies, but here many would consider that a simple DIY or handy man job.

In the UK we have the commando socket as a similar option to your 14-50, but electrical work, even if carried out by non-qualified people here, needs to be inspected and signed off by a qualified electrician here to meet UK Regulations, my issue is finding a local electrician that wants to do the work, I wouldn't trust myself to do it!!

They have the advantage of 220 in every plug. In the states, we have to pay for that.