Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New company building an electric travel trailer: Lightship

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who tows a camper trailer, there are real advantages compared to a motor home, which is what I assume you are calling a “full RV”.

When I unhitch my trailer at a campsite and set it up (awning, hookup connections, leveling), I can use my tow vehicle (Model X) for transportation as needed. With a motor home if you want to drive somewhere after setting up at a campsite you have to undo all those things and then redo them when you return, or you have to tow another vehicle to use for transport, which then further limits your choice of campsites since you then need more space.

I can fit into smaller campsites with my 17 ft trailer and tow vehicle then someone with a big motor home can, and I have more choices about how I position my trailer in a campsite.

My maintenance and storage costs for my trailer are lower than a motor home with the same interior volume, and of course the purchase price is less. A motor home has to meet all the rules and regulations for passenger vehicles, which adds a lot of cost compared to building a trailer.

The market for camper trailers is larger than the market for motor homes, so it makes sense that Lightship chose to enter that market.

Reactions: Watts_Up
There are already companies manufacturing all electric camper vans. See https://electrek.co/2023/03/23/startup-launches-affordable-electric-rv-based-on-fords-e-transit/. It’s the same price as a Lightship but much less spacious. It is also available by “subscription” for a monthly fee.

Over time there will be more choices, and they will get larger. Here is a larger electric RV van that to me could be called a motor home Luxury Stays on Wheels | Alternate Lodging Category | RollAway. No price is given. Yes, it will be expensive. But there is a market for it. The large Class A motor homes can run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars and their per mile costs are very high.

The Transit Van only has up to 108 miles of range. Hopefully soon they can get up to 300 to 400 miles. I don't understand the Other Van. Does it come to you with a driver or does the company deliver it to you and you can drive it anywhere? Their website talks about full housekeeping and room service . No mention of cost to rent the Van. It states 250 miles of range. I Wouldn't mind trying it out but what kind of a range hit would I expect traveling down the Highway or Interstate. Curious as to why they went with Propane for cooking instead of electric for the Stove

Last edited:
I Wouldn't mind trying it out but what kind of a range hit would I expect traveling down the Highway or Interstate. Curious as to why they went with Propane for cooking instead of electric for the Stove
Rollaway is an electric van according to the website and has 250 miles of range. Which surprises me for a vehicle of that size. Like any EV, on the highway the faster you go the shorter the range. If that number is the EPA rating for combine city/highway than it assume highways speeds of around 65mph, I think, but part of the EPA test is at city speeds, so if your trip is 100% highway you aren’t going to get that number.

I agree that it is baffling why the interior photo shows a propane stove.