Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New electric trailer concept from Airstream and FA Porsche design firm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last month Airstream revealed a new electric trailer concept designed in cooperation with FA Porsche. It differs from the electric Airstream eStream unveiled last year, which had fully powered wheels such that the tow vehicle would not experience increased energy usage while towing.

This new all electric concept trailer (which Airstream has not given a name to) is optimized to reduce drag, thereby reducing the energy usage of the tow vehicle. Its shape is even more aerodynamic than a standard Airstream because all the lower corners are rounded, there are almost no protrusions below the trailer, and the rear tapers and then squares off.

It also has an adjustable height suspension so it can fit through a standard height garage door (this is implied, not explicitly stated) because it is a “pop top” design, so with the top lowered the overall height is much lower than a standard trailer (no height spec is given). With the top up, even a tall person can walk around without bending over.

I assume the suspension can be lowered partway at highway speeds for reduced drag. The full lowering shown in the video at the top of the web page is pretty extreme; it appears to be just a few inches off the ground and my guess is that is only for storage; at speed it would be impractical and therefore must be limited when the trailer detects that it is connected to a tow vehicle.

I also assume that, like the eStream, when unhitched the wheels are powered to allow low speed maneuvering when parking it at a campsite or driving it into/out of a storage garage.

The only specs given are that it is single axle, sleeps a maximum of two people, and is 16.4 ft in length. No height, no GVWR, no tongue weight, no battery capacity, no tank capacities.

I love the overall design and the features. The bathroom door is particularly interesting; fully closed it conceals the toilet but then it can be swung open and it latches in a different position that encloses a much larger floor area for showering.

Fully electric of course, induction cooktop and presumably a heat pump for heating/cooling. Solar panels on the roof. It is unclear where the fridge is located.

The entire rear of the trailer opens up; window swings up, tailgate swings down to be flat.

This concept is yet another indication, beyond the eStream which I’m pretty sure will be in production soon, that Airstream is being progressive and looking to the future. I sure hope this concept goes into production!

Images by Airstream/FA Porsche Design

0101FC6F-DE87-4E93-A7FC-6ACD9D12B8C3.jpeg

DADCECB3-2901-465F-A0C7-E156A03BCF0D.jpeg

bathroom door is particularly interesting; fully closed it conceals the toilet but then it can be swung open and it latches in a different position that encloses a much larger floor area for showering.
You can see that in this floor plan view which I screengrabbed from the video on that web page. Envision the curved door in front of the toilet opening and latching near the front right corner of that cabinet on that side, which creates a nice area for showering (I suspect the square in the middle of that floor area is a drain). It’s not clear to me what is in that cabinet; is it a storage closet that is accessed from the interior? My guess is that it may also contain the freshwater tank and/or the HVAC heat pump.

7E6D953C-202A-4B4A-9291-9323532BF2F8.jpeg