Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New leak found, any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fixed the roof leaks in my 2013, at least so far so good. However, I have found another leak. It appears it's coming from behind the dash near the firewall (is it called a firewall in a Tesla). Had a heavy rain last night. The only reason I found it is because I had the carpet pulled back because of the other leaks I had.

The water drop is behind the brake pedal. Any ideas of the source?

IMG_6236.jpg

The area is free from leaves and anything else that could block the flow of water. There is evidence that it's been leaking for a while but most likely less than a year. I originally thought it was coming from the passenger side roof because that area leaked a lot of water onto the floor. Now that that leak is fixed I know the driver side is coming from somewhere else. That's when I found the drop of water in the picture. The next chance I have to spend time looking for the leak is Monday. I'll remove the top cover in the fronk as well as the cover under the wipers and look for possible points of water entry.

Even if there were obstructions like leaves and dirt in the way I would think that it still shouldn't leak into the car.

The funny thing about leaks is that they can start from one side and run all the way to the other. Check all drain hoses including the A/C evaporator. Clogged drain hoses can get disconnected in winter by ice from the trapped water.
The area is free from leaves and anything else that could block the flow of water. There is evidence that it's been leaking for a while but most likely less than a year. I originally thought it was coming from the passenger side roof because that area leaked a lot of water onto the floor. Now that that leak is fixed I know the driver side is coming from somewhere else. That's when I found the drop of water in the picture. The next chance I have to spend time looking for the leak is Monday. I'll remove the top cover in the fronk as well as the cover under the wipers and look for possible points of water entry.

Even if there were obstructions like leaves and dirt in the way I would think that it still shouldn't leak into the car.
You've got a 2013. Gaskets & seals aren't going to be as pliable when new. So if obstructions allow water to pool, then it will allow water to travel where it should not go - water surface tension and capillary action.

Last edited: