Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Water leak at chrome trim above rear door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve a water leak on my MS 2016 that I’ve not seen on the forum. I get a large water ingress during rain in the area of the chrome trim above the rear right door. It’s not the window/seals because if I tape off the top of the chrome trim and dump water on the car I don’t get any water leaking inside.

I’ve also tried dumping water around the seals of the tailgate and got no leaks. So it definitely seems to be related to this area above the trim but I’m surprised water can get in there.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 6D68414B-6E39-4CFB-89E7-568399D99CFF.jpeg
    6D68414B-6E39-4CFB-89E7-568399D99CFF.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 228
  • A6991728-5DB6-44D2-878F-6D1A0A28CF35.jpeg
    A6991728-5DB6-44D2-878F-6D1A0A28CF35.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 138
Ever figure this out? I have the same issue I am working on for a 2015 MS. I read through this Rear doors water leak and thinking it has to do with the chrome bright work around the windows allow water to leak in.
Hi. Yes I worked it out. It seems due to fitment the rain can get into the gap between the chrome and paint, then run along until it hits the trim inside the C pillar. I had during the large rains here in CA, so uses premium clear silicon from the hardware store the fill the gap. I made sure the silicon was down inside the groove there a bit so it looks normal unless you look at the gap. Works like a charm.

Great, I did the same thing! I pulled the chrome trim off by taking all the screws out under the door seals. I noticed the gasket was not sealed near where it was leaking so I added some silicone and put all the screws back in. Need to test it when I roll the windows up and hook the 12v system back together.