Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Mexico sales tax question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a buddy who took delivery of his Model Y in Nambe Falls, NM last week. He Financed thru Tesla to include sales tax, $2400 or so. He received the registration letter from Tesla and it states he will now need to pay the state of NM sales tax as the sales tax he already paid applies only to Nambe Falls tribal land where he took delivery if the car and wont be able to register until he does so. Has anyone else had this happen? Does not seem right that he would have to pay sales tax twice for the same purchase.

From the letter.

Dear Sir/Madam
The documents you will need to complete registration of your Tesla in NM are included in this packet.
Please take these documents to your local vehicle registration authority, once there you will be advised
on required final steps to complete the registration process.
Please be aware that Tesla has not charged you NM sales taxes or registration fees; therefore, you will
be required to pay these, if applicable, at the time of registration. Tesla only charged you NM Tribal
Excise Tax which is indicated on your Bill of Sale/MVPA.
Failure to register your vehicle within your state's registration window may result in late fees and
penalties, of which are the responsibility of the registrant.

From the letter.

Dear Sir/Madam
The documents you will need to complete registration of your Tesla in NM are included in this packet.
Please take these documents to your local vehicle registration authority, once there you will be advised
on required final steps to complete the registration process.
Please be aware that Tesla has not charged you NM sales taxes or registration fees; therefore, you will
be required to pay these, if applicable, at the time of registration. Tesla only charged you NM Tribal
Excise Tax which is indicated on your Bill of Sale/MVPA.
Failure to register your vehicle within your state's registration window may result in late fees and
penalties, of which are the responsibility of the registrant.
Ah ok sounds like the tribal land places its own taxes on the car purchase but NM should recognize that and your friend should only pay the difference between what he paid and the 4% MVET

Ah ok sounds like the tribal land places its own taxes on the car purchase but NM should recognize that and your friend should only pay the difference between what he paid and the 4% MVET
Thank you for the reply, this is from his Purchase Agreement. Sure looks to me as if he already paid the 4%...how could NM be asking for an additional 4%?

The sale is subject to the following representations:

1. Total Vehicle Price
$ 57,630.00

2. Trade-in Allowance (if applicable)
$ 0.00

3. Taxable Amount
$ 57,630.00

4. Sales Tax
$ 2,305.20

5. Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees
$ 0.00

6. Subtotal (1 +4 + 5)
$ 59,935.20

7. Trade-In Credit (if applicable)

8. Financed Amount (if applicable):
$ 49,685.00

9. Total Paid by Buyer
$10,250.20

Thank you for the reply, this is from his Purchase Agreement. Sure looks to me as if he already paid the 4%...how could NM be asking for an additional 4%?

The sale is subject to the following representations:

1. Total Vehicle Price
$ 57,630.00

2. Trade-in Allowance (if applicable)
$ 0.00

3. Taxable Amount
$ 57,630.00

4. Sales Tax
$ 2,305.20

5. Registration/Transfer/Titling Fees
$ 0.00

6. Subtotal (1 +4 + 5)
$ 59,935.20

7. Trade-In Credit (if applicable)

8. Financed Amount (if applicable):
$ 49,685.00

9. Total Paid by Buyer
$10,250.20
I don't think it will be additional... The DMV will let him know

Following-up on this thread in case it will help anyone else-- I had the same situation described by the OP. When registering my new Tesla at the New Mexico MVD, the State recognized the Tribal Excise Tax (listed by Tesla as "Sales Tax" on the bill of sale). There was no further tax to pay to the State and I only paid registration fees. This was August, 2023.

Reactions: Rockstop