Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3, can feel the road from wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new M3 and I love it.
But I can't help but feel some very minor, constant vibration in the wheel when driving at certain speeds.
Note that I have lane departure warning off and this is when driving straight in the same lane.
Is this "normal"? Maybe my hands are extra sensitive lol.

Got my new M3 and I love it.
But I can't help but feel some very minor, constant vibration in the wheel when driving at certain speeds.
Note that I have lane departure warning off and this is when driving straight in the same lane.
Is this "normal"? Maybe my hands are extra sensitive lol.
What’s speeds? This can be indicative of a wheel balance issue. Or you could just be a bit crazy. ;)

I'd say anywhere above 40mph. My wife says she feels it too and it's way worse than her Mazda.
If you both feel it I’d bet a solid silver nickel that a wheel is off balance. (May have thrown a weight, or just never got properly balanced.)

If it is felt in the steering wheel it’s a safe bet it’s on the front end of the car but I’d check all four for good measure. Wheel balance issues are harmonic. So they show up at particular speeds. 60mph is a super common speed. The further off the balance the wider the range of speeds and the more severe the vibration.

Imo ask for them to check the balance on the wheels prior to returning the car (that would be the dumbest reason ever to return a car) It is possible it’s something more serious. But highly unlikely. I’m a Self proclaimed internet car expert.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and alexGS
Imo ask for them to check the balance on the wheels prior to returning the car (that would be the dumbest reason ever to return a car) It is possible it’s something more serious. But highly unlikely. I’m a Self proclaimed internet car expert.

My concern is I'll take it for the service and they start taking it apart and now something else is wrong. And even then since it's an intermittent issue might take multiple visits to resolve. A new car should not need repairing...

OP appears to not want a SC(?). His call.
True, but I cannot support stupid decisions.

Now if the SC refuses to do simple things like check the whee balance, or tries to delay it...by all means return the car to avoid more drama. Otherwise a balanced tire is hardly a repaired car.

Or if he’s feeling manly just rotate the tires himself front to rear. See if the steering wheel vibration goes away.

My concern is I'll take it for the service and they start taking it apart and now something else is wrong. And even then since it's an intermittent issue might take multiple visits to resolve. A new car should not need repairing...

Then return it and buy a Toyota...we live in different realities.

Keep in mind if you return it you will not be able to buy another car in the same trim level for 12 months. And a refund will take up to 60 days so you will have a couple of month window where you have no car and no money. The “return it in seven days if you are not happy with it” is not turning out to be as great as it first sounded when Elon tweeted about it.

True, but I cannot support stupid decisions.

Now if the SC refuses to do simple things like check the whee balance, or tries to delay it...by all means return the car to avoid more drama. Otherwise a balanced tire is hardly a repaired car.

Or if he’s feeling manly just rotate the tires himself front to rear. See if the steering wheel vibration goes away.

Then return it and buy a Toyota...we live in different realities.

In your world it's legitimate that a $50K car has issues right off the lot?
If QC isn't there that's not my fault and I shouldn't have to waste my time for it.
My time is valuable too, and I doubt Tesla will offer any form of compensation.

Keep in mind if you return it you will not be able to buy another car in the same trim level for 12 months. And a refund will take up to 60 days so you will have a couple of month window where you have no car and no money. The “return it in seven days if you are not happy with it” is not turning out to be as great as it first sounded when Elon tweeted about it.

meh that's fine. I paid too much to deal with this crap. Never had any issues with my Hyundai or Mazda. Maybe Tesla can hire some of their QC folks to help them out.

Also, the earliest appointment for service is after my return window.
So safest thing to do is return and avoid thr headache of dealing with it later...

Reactions: seattlite2004
Yeah the options of what it could be are starting to pile up...
I would not make a svc appointment then. Just take it in and tell them the problem. Usually a tech will take a quick ride with you and see for him/herself. Then they either make the appt or return the car. But at least let them try to see if it’s a simple wheel balancing issue, if you like the car enough i guess.