Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 LR RWD Vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased my first Tesla. 2017 Model 3 LR RWD FSD.
I somehow missed two very distinct issues during the test drive. A clunk in the front right and a vibration starting at about 40mph and above. I couldn't find anything obvious (ball joint) on the front and the vibration is tied to speed, doesn't change with wheel loading, and sounds like it's coming from the rear.

I decided to see how tesla service works. They gave me an initial estimate of $380. Being my first experience with Tesla service, I wondered how they can provide an estimate before even looking at it. After the experience, I paid $400 in just diagnostic services so how can they estimate it under that? $210/hr shop rate???

So they replaced the front left strut and spring which fixed the clunking sound.

They then said the high frequency vibration was from the front bearings. The new estimate was $1000 over the initial estimate at $1350. I reluctantly agreed even though I was certain the noise was coming from the rear and did NOT sound like wheel bearings. This is a high frequency (not tire speed) vibration that you can feel in the chassis at higher speeds. Bearings are usually grinding type noise that change with wheel loading. But I'm just a car guy, what do I know over these highly skilled workers charing $210/hr right?

So after they changed the front bearings, they then sent me an updated estimate for $2000 because "there is still a little vibration" and they wanted to replace the rear wheel bearings. I said no. You morons should have started there like I said.

Picked up the car this morning and there is zero change to the vibration. What a scam. Change the wrong part then charge more to change the right part (maybe). I'm still not convinced its the wheel bearings. This vibration/drone does not change on wheel loading. Just speed. I'm pretty sure it's the drive unit. But they are stalling for the warranty to expire.

They didn't even bother looking at the sticking charge port that clicks but doesn't release with the button without trying it like 10 times.

Not a great first experience. But I guess it's my fault for 1 buying a first-gen car (with a vin serial number less than 000020) , 2: not catching these noises on the test drive, 3: thinking tesla can diagnose better that I can. I'm 50 years old and never taken my car to a dealer. I do all my own work.

I think the only thing to do is to replace the rear bearings myself, then when the noise doesn't go away, bring it back and be like "you were wrong again, now look at the drive unit"

Anyone know the drive ratio between the wheels and motor? My analyzing the frequency, I can almost guaranty I can match the vehicle speed to the motor speed based on the frequency of the vibration. Of course no one at tesla service is going to understand that.

Just an update on this, I replaced the rear hubs myself for less than the cost of one hub from Tesla and the noise is completely gone. So my initial hunch that it was the rear was correct, though I would not have suspected wheel bearings.

How wheel bearings go bad in 60k miles is beyond me but the car is now quiet like it's supposed to be. Now I hear all the other noises like the front left strut starting to clunk and all the squeaky bushings. :rolleyes: