Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random ping sound on FSD with steering wheel haptic vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed that sometimes while driving with FSD I get a random “ping” sound and My steering wheel vibrates (haptic feedback). This is not a lane departure warning nor is it a ”hands on wheel” nag, it just randomly makes a noise and vibrates the wheel but then keeps on driving like usual. I don’t need to make any changes to my driving behavior and I am not notified via the display of why it is doing this.

Can anybody explain what this behavior means?

The car might think you’re crossing the lane marker even if you don’t think so. Try turning Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance to Off and see if it stops happening. If so, you might need to have service check your camera alignment.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with lane departure because when this happens it does not present me with the notification that happens when I actually do depart a lane, plus autopilot is in control, plus it's nowhere near departing a lane. I happens when stationary in stop and go traffic sometimes.

Could it be something like the Navigation system is recalculating a route or adjusting arrival time? I notice it happens a lot when stuck in stop and go traffic. It makes an alert ping sound, and vibrates the steering wheel, but presents on messages on the display to the user and produces no correction (and since it only happens on autopilot the car is dead center of the lane when it happens, often while stationary).

Do you have Beep/Haptic setup for Lane Change Notification (what it sounds like)? I have mine that way and sometime I get the Beep/Haptic and it doesn't change lanes. I think it does this with the intention of FSD changing lanes but then bales out.

I’ve noticed that sometimes while driving with FSD I get a random “ping” sound and My steering wheel vibrates (haptic feedback)
This happens when FSD Beta thinks it needs to change lanes. This can happen if you switch into a lane it doesn't want to be in perhaps not realizing yet your selected lane is fine, e.g., upcoming double turn lane. Similarly, if you're at a double left-turn and it wants to be in the other lane, be extra careful in that it probably wants to aggressively change lanes when the light turns green. Oftentimes, it ends up seeing what you knew all along and decides not to actually change lanes.

This should be pretty consistent with 11.x at certain locations in certain lanes, so if you do track down where it's happening, try again but disable Lane Change Notification (or set it to not Both). To be notified by a Chime, Vibration, or Both of upcoming lane changes (in addition to the notification on the touchscreen), touch Controls > Autopilot > Full Self-Driving (Beta) and then select a Lane Change Notification.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394