Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 or wait for Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
So my wife's 15' BMW i3 with only 44000 miles has been nothing but problems. We are contemplating buying another model 3 or maybe waiting for the Y. For those who have the standard plus and long range model 3, how much is missing in the plus version? Her current car has a little over a year of warranty time left so we could wait if needed, but I love my long range model 3 and only real issue has been the ac smell so far.... So alot better than her i3. If you could, give your insights. Thanks

While the Y will be based on the 3, early production/quality issues might be a risk to consider. Also, Tesla may only offer higher-end (higher profit) versions during the first six months or so. And, the federal tax credit will be even smaller or gone by then.

The federal tax credit expires for Tesla at the end of this year, so that will definitely be gone. It's down to just $1,875 for the rest of the year then $0 unless congress does something to change/restore it. (yeah right)

Given past history with production delays, early quality issues, and slow ramp up I'd probably just buy the Model 3 now and get a Y next time around. In all honesty it'll probably be 2022 before they're readily available without a long wait.

...insights...

For past productions, each time people kept saying that this time it would be different and Tesla would ramp up Model S, Model X, Model 3 just so timely by learning from past Roaster, S, X and of course now 3...

So if you have time to wait and be bothered with the gasoline smell and trips to gas stations and oil changes... that would be fine.

So, no, I would not wait!

Based on established Tesla history, the Y will take longer than advertised to be available for purchase.

If you want a Tesla right now in the price range of a Model 3, then now is the time. If you really prefer a Y, but you are settling for a Model 3, then you should wait for the Y.

Regarding the tax credits...Tesla has shown time and time again it will lower retail pricing to reflect reduced Federal tax credits. The concern over reduced Federal tax credits are no reason to "buy now".

Reactions: hydro 481
I had two BMW i3s - one BEV and the other a REX. The Tesla is better in every way, and I was thinking of a SUV EV as well. I'm waiting, since I don't have to have the SUV configuration, but you may want to consider a used Model X. Late model cars are available at pretty substantial discounts to original price, and the range of a lower battery capacity Model X may be something to consider. Used Model 3s are also a great deal. You can likely find a low mileage 2018 LR for about the same or less than a new SR+.

This site may help: https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

Well all long ranges new are AWD so they will be more interesting to drive than sr. And nicer to be in due to premium interior.

If you are trying to hold out for a Y and want out to the BMW , there seem to be more and more cpo m3 deals coming out on the site. Depreciation rate doesn't seem too bad atm given the lack of supply. That may change when the Y comes out if shes still interested by then.

I had a model Y reservation but really wanted a Tesla.

So. I bought the model 3.

I thought. Do I need the model y. Is it worth the 10% more. It will probably be better. But do you need it ?

If you need the extra space. Sure. You’re upgrading from an i3 so probably not ?

Granted. I would not jump at the first production Model Ys. Wait 1 year until they work the kinks out. My model 3 was produced this month and even then. It still came with flaws apparently after Tesla got better.