Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us here soon!
1719113083741.png

Reactions: Brando_o
Just braved the arctic temperatures outside and took the aero caps off. To summarise the experience, average - if you dont want them on, ask Tesla not to put them on during delivery. I did ask, but was too late with my request as they had already fitted them. After just 2 days of driving there was all sorts of grime stuck between the clips and the wheels. I'm convinced that if you drove around for a few weeks, the clips would rub against the grime and permanently mark the wheels. Could be wrong of course.... Anyway, what's the consensus? Better on or off?

M3P Covers Off.jpg
M3P Covers Off 2.jpg

Can you just pop them off by hand ? (no tool required)
You definately need a tool, the clips are insanely tight. I used a kit similar to this. I followed these instructions.

Once removed, they do leave marks where the clips attached to the rim. These buff out with some polish and elbow grease, its like a plastic residue from squeezing the clips past the rim. After removing all the caps there were two small scratches left that did not polish out, so be advised there is some risk here. I've seen other people in the US take the whole wheel off and remove the metal retainer clips first but I CNBF.

Reactions: Serza
In the (poor quality) picture below you can see the amount of dirt that accumulated in just 2 days of driving. The area circled in blue is where the clip pushes in to the wheel and I'm sure this would wear the paint over time. The area circled in yellow shows the marks left when the cover is pulled off, they are more visible to the naked eye, but these do buff out. I'd say, the longer you leave the aero covers on, the more likely you would cause damage removing them.

Wheels.JPG

Reactions: Serza