Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner CPO process review and Long Distance Drive (MX75D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I've been coming on these forums regularly, I thought I'd give back now that I have my Model X, so here is my recent experience with the CPO purchase process. Bottom Line Up Front: Everything went really smoothly and I have a terrific car at an unbelievable value.

PURCHASE
So I had been using all of the various websites to track CPO and Inventory Model Xs to find a good deal with the mandatory options I wanted (Premium Sound and Cold Weather Package primarily). I wanted the free supercharging so I only considered 2016 models and preferred later VINs. I finally found a Silver Model X 75D with low miles (less than 12000) and the options I wanted. I had been working with a Tesla Used Contact for a while and he sent the pictures and the car looked flawless in the pictures (4.5 out of 5 on the insight document). I am located in Atlanta and the vehicle was located in Massachusetts. I put the deposit down and waited. After about one day, I received a call about sending in paperwork, trade-in, ect. The Delivery Agent told me that Massachusetts had really high taxes so they could move the car to another state. The car was moved to NJ for delivery. The following Wednesday, I drove to the local Tesla Service Center in Atlanta and dropped off my trade-in (received FMV). I flew up to NJ for delivery the next day. The delivery process was as smooth as could be. Honestly, I was nervous due to some of the horror stories I've read on forums. The car was as flawless inside and out as it was in the pictures (I was incredibly relieved). After showing me how everything worked, I was off on a long road trip back to Atlanta.

TRIP
Despite all of the forum visits and hundreds of reviews and youtube videos, I was still really nervous about driving 1000 miles in a Model X 75D with no prior experience driving an EV. At least for me, all of the worries and concerns were overblown. I averaged approx 320 wh/m for the entire trip driving in my normal style. Supercharger stops were (1) in Delaware (2) in VA (2) in NC (1) in SC and (1) in GA. Each stop was between 20-40 minutes and was located near a mall or several restaurants. I drove from NY to VA and stayed overnight with family before continuing to GA. I Met a lot of Tesla drivers at the stops all who were really nice and gave me a lot of pointers on the car. The one thing I noticed that a lot of people have mentioned, I felt totally rested even after a long drive due to the stops. Finally, autopilot! OMG, now my car has AP1, but it was so great. My last car had traffic aware cruise control, so I was used to that but it didn't work well in slow stop and go traffic. The ability to just relax (with a slight touch on the steering wheel) was great and it even worked well in a slow rain. I don't want to sound overly positive, because I know some people have had really bad experiences, but I wanted to share at least my first experience as new purchaser and someone who has driven a 75D for his first drive 1000+ miles and had a great time. I will also say that if you are nervous about whether a 75D will work for long trips, it certainly will as long as you don't drive super hard and regulate your heating/cooling controls.

Anyway, as a long time voyeur of this forum and others, I wanted to say thank you to everyone on these forums for all of the firsthand comments, reviews, suggestion, tips, critiques and criticisms and I'm excited to have finally joined the Tesla family!

Thought I'd add a picture.

Attachments

• TeslaModelX.jpg
    TeslaModelX.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 92
I had been working with a Tesla Used Contact for a while and he sent the pictures and the car looked flawless in the pictures (4.5 out of 5 on the insight document). I am located in Atlanta and the vehicle was located in Massachusetts. I put the deposit down and waited. After about one day, I received a call about sending in paperwork, trade-in, ect. The Delivery Agent told me that Massachusetts had really high taxes so they could move the car to another state. The car was moved to NJ for delivery. The following Wednesday, I drove to the local Tesla Service Center in Atlanta and dropped off my trade-in (received FMV). I flew up to NJ for delivery the next day. The delivery process was as smooth as could be. Honestly, I was nervous due to some of the horror stories I've read on forums. The car was as flawless inside and out as it was in the pictures (I was incredibly relieved). After showing me how everything worked, I was off on a long road trip back to Atlanta.

Late reply, but I'm hoping to pick up a Model S in the near future and am hoping my search goes as well as yours! Congrats!

I'm happy to fly across the country and drive it back to FL for the right car, but man, a lot of the cheaper CPOs listed on CPO Hunter are pretty beaten up.

Anyway, did your "Tesla Used Contact" help you find the right car? Or just send you pictures after you found it? How'd you find the contact? Did he have access to additional used cars that weren't on the website or CPO Hunter? Was it a local contact or could I contact them as well?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to find the right car and not fly across the country to pick up a car that turns out to be in bad condition or something.

Thanks!

Late reply, but I'm hoping to pick up a Model S in the near future and am hoping my search goes as well as yours! Congrats!

I'm happy to fly across the country and drive it back to FL for the right car, but man, a lot of the cheaper CPOs listed on CPO Hunter are pretty beaten up.

Anyway, did your "Tesla Used Contact" help you find the right car? Or just send you pictures after you found it? How'd you find the contact? Did he have access to additional used cars that weren't on the website or CPO Hunter? Was it a local contact or could I contact them as well?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to find the right car and not fly across the country to pick up a car that turns out to be in bad condition or something.

Thanks!

No problem. I used the ev-cpo website as well as the Tesla website to find cars. I dealt with two Tesla Used Car associates. Both were helpful but I did all of the searching myself and then sent them the VINs of the cars I was interested in and they sent me photos or other information if it was available. I did a CARFAX check on one car but TESLA does not really share repair information so it would only show number of owners and if it was a leased vehicle. I also worked with a local Tesla person here in Atlanta who looked up inventory cars for me.

My advice would be to make sure you have good photos or at least a report. Many of the cars come with a report indicating if they are clean and whether repairs are needed. If they only send photos with no report, I would move on to a different vehicle. Good luck.

No problem. I used the ev-cpo website as well as the Tesla website to find cars. I dealt with two Tesla Used Car associates. Both were helpful but I did all of the searching myself and then sent them the VINs of the cars I was interested in and they sent me photos or other information if it was available. I did a CARFAX check on one car but TESLA does not really share repair information so it would only show number of owners and if it was a leased vehicle. I also worked with a local Tesla person here in Atlanta who looked up inventory cars for me.

My advice would be to make sure you have good photos or at least a report. Many of the cars come with a report indicating if they are clean and whether repairs are needed. If they only send photos with no report, I would move on to a different vehicle. Good luck.

Thanks! I certainly expect that I'm still going to have to do a bulk of the searching. Good info about the reports. Didn't realize there were reports available. I had just been clicking the "Request Photos" button and getting some photos. Some seem to be thorough in their photographing of issues, but some not. I'm hoping they can see cars that I can't or something to help find a car with the 3rd row because it's slim pickings on those haha.

I actually just clicked the "chat" button on the inventory website and a Tesla Used Agent or whatever they're called is supposed to call me, so we'll see!

Thanks again!