Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New paddle gear looks different

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just fixed both driver-side front and back door handle on my 2014 P85D. Bought 2 new paddle gears for $7 each from Tesla parts department. Then just take the door handle out and replace the paddle gear. The new ones look like a different casting and metal feels different so hopefully, this will last the lifetime. The original one looks like a solid cast metal but looking at the break the metal seems low quality, like something used to cast Hotwheel toy cars.

Now all 4 of my doors have been fixed for not presenting problems. Basically, it's the cheap paddle gear that broke at the hinge. First, the rear passenger side doors were replaced under warranty. The passenger door broke right after the warranty expired last year, which cost $343 parts and labor (looks like they put in a gen3 handle for $200). Then just earlier this year both driverside doors went within a week of each other, WTF. I didn't feel like paying for 2 door repairs for $700 so I decided to fix them myself following some of the Youtube videos and online instructions. Only takes me one afternoon, would've been faster if I have figured out how to get the handle out sooner.

A couple of things to add to the YouTube videos:
1. Use an air bladder jack to spread the gap to help get to the two nuts on top easier. Windows up to undo the bottom bolts.
2. Roll the window down to get to the top nuts. Use a plier and something to hold the nuts to place them back.
3. Cover the shiny door handle with painter's tape to protect it from being scratched.
4. Use some old credit cards to wedge the bottom of the handle when reinstalling to align it through the gap.

Now I have both doors working. Although one of them the LED wire broke right at the bulb (no way to save it) so I have to get a new LED module and do this again.

Attachments

• IMG_6363.jpeg
    IMG_6363.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gadget-X
The one you have that is broken is I believe the 2nd version of that paddle gear. The first version was much stronger and looked identical and I believe was made in Canada for a few bucks. The version you have was made in China for like 1/4 the price but we all know how that story ends. It's just too bad they made tens of thousands of them and put them in cars before realizing that buck savings probably wasn't worth it.

The "new" one you have is the newest skeletonized version that's also made out of stronger material once again and should outlast most of the other components in the handle.

That said, if I had a door handle fail on a car I planned to keep I would pay Tesla to put the Gen 3 handle in. Money well spent for something you'll likely never need to worry about again for the rest of the time you own the car. Far too many failure points on the v1 and v2 door handles, even with an upgraded paddle gear.