Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW SIGNS (Jan 2014) at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
We drove to Quartzsite yesterday, Jan 11, to show a visiting Alaskan the Rock & Mineral show, and, of course, the Supercharger. To hijack my own thread instantly, 289A at 370V and 366mph!!! Wow!

But the Parking signs at the SpC slots were interesting. All eight slots have Tesla signs on them, but: underneath the Tesla logo and the word Tesla TWO of the signs read "SUPERCHARGER GENERAL PARKING" and SIX of them read "ELECTRIC VEHICLE PARKING".

This appears to me to be TMInc's response to...or, more likely, in anticipation of...criticism toward using so-called "public" parking spaces for "those elitist cars". A good effort.

the Parking signs at the SpC slots were interesting. All eight slots have Tesla signs on them, but: underneath the Tesla logo and the word Tesla TWO of the signs read "SUPERCHARGER GENERAL PARKING" and SIX of them read "ELECTRIC VEHICLE PARKING".
When we were in Quartzsite a couple of weeks ago, we noted the same thing and didn't know what "Supercharger General Parking" meant. I also wondered why a non-Tesla would want to park in an "Electric Vehicle Parking" space if they can't plug in. I pondered the possibility that Tesla wanted to create enough confusion to keep non-Model S cars from parking there. Thoughts?

The Richmond, VA location uses similar (maybe the same) signs. It's a compromise between Tesla and the owner of the parking lot/land. Tesla would prefer dedicated spots. The land owner doesn't want to dedicate 8 parking spots when they have no experience to help them judge how frequent the chargers will be used, and they don't want to end up causing friction for non Tesla customers.

So you end up with some spaces marked as general parking and others as dedicated. In Richmond they wired the A stalls together in general parking, and the B stalls together in the dedicated slots (I might have that backwards but it doesn't matter) to maximize the power available to the dedicated spots.

The problem, as started above, is nobody is going to understand what "supercharger general parking" means.

"You can park here if all other parking is taken".

The Richmond, VA location uses similar (maybe the same) signs. It's a compromise between Tesla and the owner of the parking lot/land. Tesla would prefer dedicated spots. The land owner doesn't want to dedicate 8 parking spots when they have no experience to help them judge how frequent the chargers will be used, and they don't want to end up causing friction for non Tesla customers.

So you end up with some spaces marked as general parking and others as dedicated. In Richmond they wired the A stalls together in general parking, and the B stalls together in the dedicated slots (I might have that backwards but it doesn't matter) to maximize the power available to the dedicated spots.

The problem, as started above, is nobody is going to understand what "supercharger general parking" means.

This is what Tesla calls "Enabled" parking spaces in contrast to "Dedicated" parking spaces.

Here's what Enabled parking spaces look at Florida Supercharger stalls.

Port Saint Lucie Ribbon ICE signage.jpg

Larry

you just helped me fully understand what is going on here in Vacaville.

similar, but different.

There are 8 spots. The first 4 are marked specifically for teslas, and the other 4 are marked as general time limited parking. The spots are labeled 1a 2a 3a 4a 1b 2b 3b 4b ... So each of the sites in the dedicated spots are paired with one in a non dedicated spot. They are hoping we fill these up left to right.

It would be nice if they put out some information on this, rather than having it so convoluted I, who has thought about that location a lot, figure it out long after the fact through deductive reasoning. There should be signage, and/or each specific web page should have the recommended stall usage order posted (and maybe some background as to why). There should also be a pop up notification with a link to the superchargers specific web page when the car is put into park in the vicinity of a supercharger (it knows when I'm near home, I think it can figure this out).

It would have been easiest if they would have just standardized the methods at all superchargers, but they screwed the pooch n that one a long time ago and there is no fixing it now. Some spots are 1a 1b 2a 2b, while others are 1a 2a... Like vacaville... Then they could just send an email to all owners with a "smart stall selection method"...

they should still email all owners and let them know that there is a smart method at all... Almost every time I have up used one, I have had to advise someone that the stall they are about to park in isn't the best available option. All tesla would have to do is tell owners to look at the number on the chargers and if there are two spots labeled 1a and 1b and both are open, park in 1a... If not, look at 2a and 2b for the same info.... If all pairs have at least one car, park in 1b... They could also further explain that "paired chargers share charge".... Pairing is sharing

Looks like I've got a new sign to make. Anyone interested in that big "T Tesla" sign?
I forgot the terminology used in here and other threads but there is the pair of "T + A" and "T + B" signs where "A" is dedicated and "B" is enabled. Post #6 looks like the enabled (T+B) sign pair to me. I'd be interested in a pair of the dedicated (T+A) signs. Heck I might be interested in a pair of the (T+B) for the other half of my garage. ;)

I forgot the terminology used in here and other threads but there is the pair of "T + A" and "T + B" signs where "A" is dedicated and "B" is enabled. Post #6 looks like the enabled (T+B) sign pair to me. I'd be interested in a pair of the dedicated (T+A) signs. Heck I might be interested in a pair of the (T+B) for the other half of my garage. ;)

Since we're talking "A" vs "B", How about a sign that says, "B" Battery Cars 30 minutes Parking Allowed, "A" Battery Cars 90 minutes parking allowed.
Sorry, couldn't help it ;-)

Aren't these generally put in lots with plenty of parking, and in a less desirable section of lot. I don't see why ICE vehicles would park there unless they are just being spiteful, or there really aren't any other spots. I doubt that businesses are willing to enforce these spots as Tesla ONLY.