Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla PV subscription option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KSilver2000

Dec 23, 2017
CA
Looks like Tesla is trying something different to gain more traction in the crowded PV installation business.

Design Your Solar | Tesla

For between $50-$65/month for every 3.8kW (double the price for 7.6kW, and so on), you can have solar with nothing down and free installation. No annual contracts, just month-to-month. Only available in a handful of states to begin with.

Few things I see from reading the subscription agreement:
1. Tesla keeps any and all incentives/rebates/credits.

1.a. Subscriber can purchase the existing system any time after 5 years. (Can only do so by email). Looks like those credits/rebates will not credited to subscriber upon purchase.

2. Monthly price can be changed any time. (Hopefully, it won’t be as fluid as their auto side).

3. Automatic monthly renewals until you cancel. But, no pro-rata. So, make sure to cancel at the end of a month.

3.a. Cancellation and Re-enrollment can only be done by email. (Hopefully, they don’t sit on your email for days or weeks as it happens frequently on their auto side).

4. If you cancel subscription, Tesla has the right to come and remove the system any time at Tesla’s convenience.

4.a. Tesla will charge $1,500 for the removal and patching of holes left behind. (Better make good use of it because $1,500 is about 2 years of subscription for a 3.8kW system).

5. You can cancel a new subscription order without any penalty if done (again, by email) within 3 business days of order. If Tesla has delivered any material during those 3 days, and Tesla does not pick them back up within 20 days of cancellation notice, subscriber gets to keep the material with no obligation or lien.

Few comments:
1. I think Tesla is somewhat banking on the fact that many people will not want to pay $1,500 for the removal and just continue paying monthly. That’s a lot. I can’t imagine my roofer/solar installer charging even half that to remove a small system. It also helps that Tesla gets to claim all tax incentives and rebates.

2. Installation will take 10-90 days from order. (Does not include inspection and PTO wait times). So, I wonder how fast/slow Tesla will remove a system if one cancels. After cancellation notice, what happens to any surplus generation credits with your utility while waiting for Tesla to remove the system? Nothing in the agreement clarifying this.

3. May be possible to not be on subscription during winter months. If you get notice of removal, then just RE-enroll. Nothing in the agreement clarifying this.

4. There will be a UCC-1 record on your home.

IMO, this, along with leases and PPAs, is a waste of money if one ever has the chance to purchase own system down the road.

Last edited: