Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New vs. Old Solar Warranty - Is it worth the price?

What would you take?

• Keep original contact with 20+ year full warranty & service

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Get back $4500

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm debating if the warranty is worth it because I am right at the point where I can choose between the existing or new contract.....

My understanding is that current warranty gives me 20 years (+ 5 years for me because of a referral on everything including the inverter). If anything goes wrong, Tesla handles contacting the MFG and doing the warranty work.

With the new pricing, they say they warranty changes but I haven't seen it in writing yet. The details still seem a little up in the air but I believe we only keep MFG length warranty (15 year on panel, 10 year on inverter). It sounds like i might be liable for the labor related to the system and I personally would need to pursue the manufacturer to get the warranty claim done.

My potential savings is the switch is about $4,500. I have a 11 kWh system with 2 Delta delta Solivia 5.2 TL inverters. I should be in the house for about 10 years but you never know....

Opinions?

Take the $4500. You need to probably-weight (a) the need for warranty repair, plus (b) whether you will even be in the house after the new shorter warranty expires, plus (c) whether Tesla will even be around after the expiration of the new warranty, and compare that analysis to the future value of $4500. I'd be surprised if you don't come out ahead putting the money in your pocket now.

Reactions: Jtt777
This is a tough one. As Tesla ramps up, you'll be getting inexperience going along with it. I think with homeowner intervention you can mitigate a lot of workmanship issues. I would focus strictly on roof work. Inspect the work yourself, and don't let the inspector leave unless he/she walks the roof for the first of two inspections (not the final).

Never needed warranty repairs for 3 years of having solar. Used SunWorks not Solar City at the time. (a) Unsolicited, my roof lead looked me in the face and said I have never had a leak. (b) Nothing is better than verifying by actual use. A few heavy storms proved no leaks in the house. This is one reason a warranty is nice. (c) All other items even the inverter is DIY or just hire out to replace. My warranty covers inverter replacement. (d) Performance monitoring is nice but phone apps do well to detect a failed panel. I have a string inverter and have not had issues.

I was once quoted by a EnergySage contractor for $1500 for a 10 year warranty (system quoted was no warranty from installer). That's good reference that there is a real cost to warranties. Who knows maybe find another installer who can just provide a short-term warranty.

Last edited:
So I'm debating if the warranty is worth it because I am right at the point where I can choose between the existing or new contract.....

My understanding is that current warranty gives me 20 years (+ 5 years for me because of a referral on everything including the inverter). If anything goes wrong, Tesla handles contacting the MFG and doing the warranty work.

With the new pricing, they say they warranty changes but I haven't seen it in writing yet. The details still seem a little up in the air but I believe we only keep MFG length warranty (15 year on panel, 10 year on inverter). It sounds like i might be liable for the labor related to the system and I personally would need to pursue the manufacturer to get the warranty claim done.

My potential savings is the switch is about $4,500. I have a 11 kWh system with 2 Delta delta Solivia 5.2 TL inverters. I should be in the house for about 10 years but you never know....

Opinions?
I'm in you 100% exact situation. 10.725kWh system, 2 Delta Solivia 5.2. I thought I was reading my own post! I even calculated the 4500 rough savings for my system and also have the 5+ year for referral! I was flabbergasted when I just read all the coincidences. I have revised contract with revised warranty. Panels say "at least 12 years". Inverter says "at least 10 years". The messed up on the 5 year warranty, read carefully on previous contract it seems to cover everything except roof and performance guarantee (e.g. should cover powerwall for example to 15 years from 10). On revised warranty extension, they take the inclusive approach and list explicitly what it's included, this time not including powerwall nor panels. This warranty extension is important for me as I considered 2 power walls because of the warranty coverage. Have you received revised contract?