Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new winter tires do NOT fit Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought and had a new pair of Sottozero 3s from Tire Rack mounted. They are the exact same size as the tires that were removed. But for some reason they appear to be too narrow for the 19" Gemini. Has anyone seen this? Does this look normal?

See pictures below.

tiresmall.jpg

That's the rim in the pic. The hub is inside the wheel lip. Looks wierd to me.
I see it now, agree it looks weird. The size is the same as what comes on the gemini winter tire and wheel package. I ordered last week when it was available and haven't gotten them yet, but assume they'll look exactly the same. I read in another post that the stock tire size is a bit stretched on the tesla wheels but had never seen an angle that showed it like your pic.

Here is a pic of my 2020 from a similar angle with the OEM tires. The OEM tires look kind of skinny in these wide wheels too.

Thanks - I think that looks better than mine, but still see the gap in there. I suspect that almost settles it. I guess its expected to have that gap there on the rim. It would be good to see another owner with the SotoZero winter tires to see if they have just as large of gap as mine.

I saw this image and got concerned:

rim-to-tire-fit-1024x451.png

Just bought and had a new pair of Sottozero 3s from Tire Rack mounted. They are the exact same size as the tires that were removed. But for some reason they appear to be too narrow for the 19" Gemini. Has anyone seen this? Does this look normal?

See pictures below.

View attachment 739863
It almost looks like the bead isn't seated properly. Do you have a picture of the rear side?

Keith

if the size of the winter tires matches the OE tire size you're fine. The difference between the two tires is probably the TREAD PROFILE as your All seasons were probably a more square profile and your winter tires were rounder which can make them seem skinnier. they can have the same section width but maybe the all season were wider in Overall Width. Its also possible your All Seasons have a rim protection built in, whereas your winter tires do not.

Reactions: Thp3