Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie: 4kw + 1powerwall in progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update. Talked to my rep who helped me add 3 panels to my design (total: 15 panels). Makes me more comfortable/future proof with my current annual use around 7200 kwh. They are working on an updated quote/contract. I also dropped the powerwall. One pw just doesn't seem worth it. 2 too much $. Hope we continue to be lucky with the rolling power outages from pge.
I will continue to consider batteries/backup as prices and options get better next few years.
Site plan for permit is trow AM. Anything I should double check? Should be pretty straightforward with only panels being installed....thanks
I am interested in getting a system slightly larger than 4.08kW so it's good to hear they can add panels.

Reactions: Wannaretire
Hi, I'm interested in pest abatement being installed at the same time as my solar panels. Most of my panels will be second story and impossible for me to clean!

I got referred to Tesla sales:
(877) 571-7652

They mentioned it would cost $1500 at time of install. I still don't have any details on what they would actually install.

A few questions:
1. Is there a better way to get this done. It seems from what I've read here, only the back of the panels really need 'pest abatement'. True?
2. $1500 seems steep when they are already here. Is this in the ballpark for 15 panel protection?
3. Feel free to point me to other links/threads. I'd like to get understand more before spending $1500 for chicken wire (?) on a project that will only total $10k total!

Try someone else, have them quote it and go with the cheaper quote.

Extras are going to be proportionally more in a Tesla system because the system itself is so cheap. Your cost doesn't seem super unreasonable depending on the layout, maybe a couple hundred high. Typically it needs to happen on all 4 sides, as the skirts wont prevent small critters from entering. Its not just chicken wire, but similar. How many feet of perimeter screening do they have to do?

Tesla doesn't really want to do your extras. If you ask them to do it, they will charge more.

Try someone else, have them quote it and go with the cheaper quote.

Extras are going to be proportionally more in a Tesla system because the system itself is so cheap. Your cost doesn't seem super unreasonable depending on the layout, maybe a couple hundred high. Typically it needs to happen on all 4 sides, as the skirts wont prevent small critters from entering. Its not just chicken wire, but similar. How many feet of perimeter screening do they have to do?

Tesla doesn't really want to do your extras. If you ask them to do it, they will charge more.
Thanks. Good idea to check with other vendors.
We have 3 locations for the panels. 6-6-3. Not sure about perimeter ft.

Perhaps one idea is to do this later as part of a cleaning contract a few years down the road. It does seem this isn't something Tesla is interested in, which makes me think they may rush the pest abatement work and not do the best job. Hmmm..

Hi!

Thankful to have found this forum.
I have put down my $100 deposit for a 4kw and one powerwall system.

I'm hoping to review the 'quote' and design with the Tesla designer next week. I have got quotes from other solar providers, but Tesla seems much cheaper.

I really want to get honest opinions from folks who have been thru/ going thru the Tesla solar experience. What questions should I ask and what can I do to ensure my experience with Tesla solar is as best as possible?

Some details about my house (let me know what im missing):
Located in zip code 94536 (norcal)
Used roughly 7000 kwh last year
Annual electric bill was just over $2K ($170 ish a month).
I have a new roof, 2 years old...
No shading issues.
Front of our house faces west.

1. I've been sized by other solar providers at a 5.5kw system. I really don't know whether I should oversize and choose the 8kw option with Tesla. I believe with the Powerwall providing energy during peak periods i *should* be good with the 4kw system. Not sure, would love some feedback.

2. Any opinions on powerwall? I am very tempted to proceed with one.

3. Given the limited time I'll have with the designer, what should I ask for to ensure the install and solar operation is optimal. I.e. try to mitigate any shortcuts etc.

I know I'm new here so feel free to ask me questions and point me in the right direction.

Thanks
I have a PV system of similar size with 3 PWs (bought 2 added one referral). Our annual usage is about the same as yours. AC use is limited to about 4 weeks total over the summer and fall.

I agree with some of the posters here. I would go up in size for the system to allow for some growth in electricity usage. In addition, going to 2 PWs would allow you to use AC if necessary. The two biggest reasons for going up in size would be to allow for more production during the winter and to balance out the charging of an electric vehicle should you go that way in the future.

Note that having an EV will allow you access to PG&E's EV rates which enhances the PWs utility by allowing you to buy off-peak at about half of what most of the non EV off-peak rates are at. In addition, you can, with a bit of extra work on your part, use the vehicle battery as a "surge volume" for extra generation during the summer months. In my case I can dial back the vehicle charging rate and top off during peak solar generation if I want to. While it may or may not be necessary under normal conditions, I would almost certainly use that method if there were an extended grid outage to avoid my solar shutting down during the day and allowing me to still charge my vehicle, albeit slowly.
Going this route will allow you to avoid over generation at true up for which you will only get about ~.03/kWh.

Good luck and welcome to "Electric Usage Watchers Anonymous".

Reactions: LadyLion