Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about ordering a model Y performance......

1. Currently what is build/delivery time? The website says May 2022 as of now (march 12th) , that's 3 months give or take. Is that about right give or take or is that just click bait from Tesla and the time is much much longer? I travel for work for long periods of time, so I need a rough delivery date so I can plan things out when to order. Also if I am away and it gets delivered and I can't pick it up for 2-3 weeks what happens?

2. My wifi is slow so Youtube video reviews are not available. What is the seat height like getting in an out? I am coming from a jeep GC. I dont want a model 3 cause I dont like getting in and out of low cars. I know the model Y is considered a cross over. Getting in and out height wise, what other vehicle can I compare it too? Maybe like CRV or Subaru Forester. I am 6ft1, my jeep is basically level and I slip in sideways. I dont mind going down a little bit but I dont want to feel like I am getting in and out of a Toyota Camry.

3. Wheels and ride quality, what I like about SUVs is on rougher roads the sidewalls of the tires cushion bumps and rough surfaces like patched potholes. The performance Y comes with 21"wheels and the tires looks look like they have Very little sidewall. What vehicle can I compare the roughness of the ride to like going over bumps and rough patches in city roads?? Are we talking like a corvette or maybe a little better, or can it come anywhere close to a midsize sedan like a Honda accord?

4. Interior seat room, am I closer to my Jeep GC or more towards maybe a CRV or Audi Q5?

Any info or input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Couldn't edit my post so ill add.....

If you say the MYP rides harsh like a Camaro in sport mode and the MYLR with the 19" rides like my Jeep GC I could be talked into a LR model. It would be a toss up between performance vs saving 5k, more range and a superior ride.

You really should arrange a test drive of the Performance Model Y and the Long Range Model Y vehicles. You can also rent a Tesla for a day on Turo.

You should have no issue with the seat being low. The seat itself is identical to the Model 3 but sits on a 4 or 5 inch riser. The driver's seat is fully adjustable including height and has adjustable lumbar support. Tesla removed the adjustable lumbar feature from the front passenger seat.

You will probably end up getting a set of winter tires and can buy 19" or 20" wheels to replace the 21" wheels at that time.

There is a ton of interior room for 5 passengers and for cargo. The glass roof makes for lots of headroom. There are two storage bins underneath the floor in the rear (the one at the rear is quite large and deep. The front trunk (frunk) is also generously sized for a backpack or single piece of aircraft approved roller luggage, a cooler, etc. You can add a roof rack and a tow hitch option (very popular for holding a bike rack and carrying several bicycles.)

If you want to push out delivery to the fall or later then the Long Range Model Y has the longer delivery window. If you want to take delivery sooner then the Performance Model Y has the shortest delivery window.

You don't have to be at home when the vehicle it delivered but you would want someone to retrieve the key cards and paperwork from inside the vehicle and lock it. If the vehicle is parked in a safe from damage location you can leave it. For a longer term period of just sitting for several weeks you would want Sentry mode turned off to minimize battery drain while parked. (The power drain when Sentry mode is active is ~6% per 24 hours.) Perhaps a friend or neighbor can park the Tesla in a safe location and also check that Sentry mode is off. The Tesla will still be locked, the vehicle alarm is active when locked (this is separate from Sentry mode.)

Reactions: tdeno and 101dals
My thoughts (Long Range MY)
  1. build/delivery time - 'try' not to worry about that, as timing will change or adjust until the final process/call (it sure was for me). That said after we were finalizing all the 'online paper work' we booked a time that worked well for my family (we had to push back the delivery date a week as we had a family trip) to pick up the car - no issue and my location were very accommodating 'pick a date that works for you' - that said if you want the car now'ish. Then look to the used market, or 'wait' in line, but get that order in sooner than later to keep your 'place in line' as prices seem to be going up as are dates moving out - PMY seem to be much shorter then LRMY
  2. seat height like getting in an out - agree with @jcanoe comment - Note: there is also the 'easy entry' profile if needed to adjust it lower/higher/etc between each profile/driver for seat / stearing wheel adjustments between driver. I feel it the hight is/was around the Subaru Outback we had.
  3. Wheels and ride quality - Long Range Y with 19 are a bit harsher than BMW 3 GT, and would think PMY with 21 with a lower wheel sidewall could be a bit more than the 19, but this is all a guess on my part. I have two sets for winter and summer tires/rims - both 19 and would recommend something like that.
  4. Interior seat room - front seats are great and lots of headroom, the back is a bit tight (headroom) when you recline the back seat, as 6+ foot person could feel a bit crampped with headroom.

I would strongly recommend testing drive (as mentioned by Jcanoe) - for us we used turo (car rental app) to rent a MY for 2 weeks to get a true feel and verify that it fit into our family as we thought if that is something you can swing/want to experience for 'longer' than just a quick test drive. The only issue we had was using 110 outlet or Super Chargers as we didn't have a home charger setup yet.

Great info, thanks! Cause of work I cant do a test drive and because of the price of gas and what I can sell jeep for now I need to order without driving or seeing in person.... O well.

From someone's comment, I dont get the delivery thing. When it comes in doesn't it go to the dealer/service center, or does it get dropped off like carvanna or vroom type thing.

Great info, thanks! Cause of work I cant do a test drive and because of the price of gas and what I can sell jeep for now I need to order without driving or seeing in person.... O well.

From someone's comment, I dont get the delivery thing. When it comes in doesn't it go to the dealer/service center, or does it get dropped off like carvanna or vroom type thing.
In some areas, partially due to Covid protocols Tesla will deliver your Tesla vehicle to your home.

Reactions: tdeno

If you say the MYP rides harsh like a Camaro in sport mode and the MYLR with the 19" rides like my Jeep GC I could be talked into a LR model. It would be a toss up between performance vs saving 5k, more range and a superior ride.
The acceleration of a LR Model Y is very brisk. O-60 in 5 seconds. The power is instant, not needing to spin up the revs as an ICE vehicle. First rides in any electric vehicle cause big grins on faces. With LR, you can choose tires with more rubber between you and the potholes. Tire pressure will still be high (40 psi, give or take) so you're not going get a super soft ride over rough roads. All this to say choice of a performance model might not be ideal for you.

I would compare the MYP suspension to my 2005 EVO RS, very firm with good handling but not much road compliance and comfort on rough roads. Do what I did, get the MYP, sell the 21's for a couple grand (Mine had over 5000 miles, low mileage sell for more $$) and pick up some used Gemini 19's for a thousand or less (also depending on mileage). and enjoy! You get the increased range and most of the ride benefits of the MYLR just by swapping the wheels and tires. This spring I am getting some light weight 18" wheels with summer only rubber and the 19's with all season tires will be my winter set.

Keith

Last edited:
I would compare the MYP suspension to my 2005 EVO RS, very firm with good handling but not much road compliance and comfort on rough roads. Do what I did, get the MYP, sell the 21's for a couple grand (Mine had over 5000 miles, low mileage sell for more $$) and pick up some used Gemini 19's for a thousand or less (also depending on mileage). and enjoy! You get the increased range and most of the ride benefits of the MYLR just by swapping the wheels and tires. This spring I am getting some light weight 18" wheels with summer only rubber and the 19's with all season tires will be my winter set.

Keith
👍 From what I have been reading I think that's the best option. With a lighter and smaller rim I wonder if I can even increase the 0-60 a touch as a bonus!