Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The optimal suspension settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming from BMWs and Benz, I have to admit that I first struggled with the rough and too firm feeling of the suspension. It just didn’t like how it handled rough roads.

After a good amount of time trying multiple settings day after another (comfort, auto, sport, advanced, etc), I settled on this option as the best for handling and yet not too firm but just firm enough to still isolate road imperfections, and am loving it now.

Advance: Max (Sport) handling, and medium Ride comfort settings. Low suspension height feels good but medium is also as good.

What do you all use, am curious?

IMG_3305.jpeg

I'm running 1 notch less on both settings than you. But I will just put it in sport if I'm driving through some twisties.

I do wish they let us access the track mode suspension settings outside of track mode though.

Coming from BMWs and Benz, I have to admit that I first struggled with the rough and too firm feeling of the suspension. It just didn’t like how it handled rough roads.

After a good amount of time trying multiple settings day after another (comfort, auto, sport, advanced, etc), I settled on this option as the best for handling and yet not too firm but just firm enough to still isolate road imperfections, and am loving it now.

Advance: Max (Sport) handling, and medium Ride comfort settings. Low suspension height feels good but medium is also as good.

What do you all use, am curious?

View attachment 1030151
Same as you, but 1 notch firmer on Ride.

I'm running 1 notch less on both settings than you. But I will just put it in sport if I'm driving through some twisties.

I do wish they let us access the track mode suspension settings outside of track mode though.
Is track mode even stiffer? I haven’t experimented but the oem suspension is so bouncy even in low mode and sport. Car tracks so poorly. I want more toe or something to stop the car wandering all over the place and ohlins suspension…

Could you just always drive with a custom track mode profile with traction control setting maxed out?
I could, but track mode uses a ton more energy with the constant battery heating / cooling and such. And you can't enter track mode unless the car is in park, so I can't just enter / exit at will.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
I could, but track mode uses a ton more energy with the constant battery heating / cooling and such. And you can't enter track mode unless the car is in park, so I can't just enter / exit at will.
I just tried driving in track mode and omfg it's like a different car. Track mode is the only mode for me from now on unless I am trying to hypermile.

I also have a Ducati 1299 panigale, gen2 r8 v10+ supercharged, v8 bmw m3 supercharged on ohlins suspension and in track mode, despite the plaid having an extra 1,000-1,500 lbs of batteries to carry around compared to an ICE car, the electronics package- torque vectoring and everything else afforded by the electric motor design- makes the car just as fun as any of my others.

I cant wait until the battery discharge rates and energy densities increase so these EVs aren’t so heavy. At that point they are going to be so much better than their ICE counterparts it’s not even going to be funny…

Don’t you feel that full soft makes it too bouncy?
Full soft more adjusts how it feels over big bumps, less harsh. The bouncy feeling comes from not enough shock rebound force, full sport gets you more rebound control. I run lowest soft and highest sport like a post above and 38 PSI, still experimenting but it seems to be best for now, rides decent but has rebound control to get rid of the wallowy feeling.

Last edited:
I have been test various settings after the feedback from all if you.

I settled on: 2nd notch to the left for Drive comfort (2nd notch next to Soft), and maxed out handling (var right —> Sport)

Wish I tried that since day 1 when I got the car… It made a huge difference that I really like the car suspension much more now.

Reactions: terranx