Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Punctured tire/question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just got a low pressure notification and discovered a screw has punctured my front passenger tire. I’ve only had my Y 3 months. Checked recommendations online, and I see in the app I can order a replacement. Elsewhere online someone recommended a patch kit. Questions:

- Is the car diagram in the app an overhead view/meaning the front right tire in the app is the same as the front passenger tire?
- if I use the app to replace, I see something about install too - is it shipped to me and I replace myself, or will the app require I go to the service center to replace? (I’m on a lease)
- or has someone done this patch kit thing, which I am not a fan of doing, and I think because the tire is losing pressure, the puncture has gone all the way the way through?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hello,

I just got a low pressure notification and discovered a screw has punctured my front passenger tire. I’ve only had my Y 3 months. Checked recommendations online, and I see in the app I can order a replacement. Elsewhere online someone recommended a patch kit. Questions:

- Is the car diagram in the app an overhead view/meaning the front right tire in the app is the same as the front passenger tire?
- if I use the app to replace, I see something about install too - is it shipped to me and I replace myself, or will the app require I go to the service center to replace? (I’m on a lease)
- or has someone done this patch kit thing, which I am not a fan of doing, and I think because the tire is losing pressure, the puncture has gone all the way the way through?

America’s Tire (aka Discount Tire) is your friend.

IMG_2466.jpeg

Buy a $2 tire plug kit, pull the screw out with pliers, and permanently fix the leak in like 5 minutes without taking the wheel off the car. Thank me later.

View attachment 1037590

A tire repair kit, saved my weekend trip !!!

Depending on where the screw is. I have a kit in my car, but it won't help in some locations.
I have trouble recommending a DIY fix to someone who is already having issues figuring out how to get someone else to do it.

I have trouble recommending a DIY fix to someone who is already having issues figuring out how to get someone else to do it.

My comments are often rhetorical to the OP, but meant for the larger audience.

That said, I still encourage people to at least try their own repair considering how frequently punctures occur, and how simple it is to recover from it. Worst case they wasted 10 minutes and $2 on a tire repair kit.

Hello,

I went to Discount Tire, fully expecting to be charged for the screw in my tire, but they repaired it for free even though it was an OEM tire not purchased from them. Of course this assumes it is repairable and has no damage to the sidewall.

just plugged mine other day and so far no bubbles and holding air. its borderline sidewall but it was a clean puncture so i expect it to hold and carry the plug kit and tools if it springs a leak. tire has 12k on it and hopefully will last.

used this kit. also available at walmart.

View attachment 1037853View attachment 1037854
That shoulder area of the tire is not approved for repair, the tire should be replaced. At least make sure it’s mounted on the rear where a blowout is less severe.

That shoulder area of the tire is not approved for repair, the tire should be replaced. At least make sure it’s mounted on the rear where a blowout is less severe.

Who experiences "a blowout" due to a failed repair? The only time I've experienced "a blowout" is when my car is hurtling through the air, or otherwise smashing violently into obstacles only maniacs hit.

Worst case, the repair is insufficient, causing a gradual reduction in pressure, necessitating replacement at some point.

• Disagree
Reactions: John in LB
Reactions: WillwayGTO
It'a actually safer to put the repaired tire on the front. You have steering control of the front but no control of the rear.

Having experienced complete failures (shredded tire) at highway speeds both front and rear, I found the rear blowout significantly easier to control. The loss of the front tire caused the vehicle to violently change direction and swerve into the other lane before I had a chance to react. The rear blowout was noticeable but not at all severe allowing me to safety pull over without drama. Since the rear is following the front the other rear tire keeps the back of the car in line with the steering input.

Having experienced complete failures (shredded tire) at highway speeds both front and rear, I found the rear blowout significantly easier to control. The loss of the front tire caused the vehicle to violently change direction and swerve into the other lane before I had a chance to react. The rear blowout was noticeable but not at all severe allowing me to safety pull over without drama. Since the rear is following the front the other rear tire keeps the back of the car in line with the steering

"Countless crash test studies prove that it is much easier to maintain control over a vehicle if it is the front tire that suffers a blowout. That’s because even if there is are major tire defects causing the blowout, you’ll still have the ability to steer the vehicle."

Reactions: John in LB
Basically, others have said what needs to be said:
1) have a tire shop try to patch the hole (not just plug).
2) Must be inside the steel belt area (not near edge or sidewall).
3) General data says a blow out in rear is worse than front... but there are a lot of factors that affect that prognosis
(front to rear axel weight ratio, center of gravity)
4) These are heavy cars - don't take condition of tires lightly.

Speaking of which, I had to replace one of my rear tires due to curb damage on the inside - happen to find it during rotation/balance. Here is a photo... After tire was removed from wheel, I poked it with my finger and it bulged like a balloon...

Attachments

• Tesla Model X Rear tire.jpg
    Tesla Model X Rear tire.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 4
Basically, others have said what needs to be said:

I appreciate the response and attention to safety. That said, you don't know anyone who has died from a tire plug failure. You don't know anyone who knows someone who died of a tire plug failure.

We're going to die like everyone else; from heart disease or cancer. Anyone who is fearful of a tire plug, yet part of the 80% of Americans who are overweight have their fears misplaced.

Go ahead and spend a fortune and ton of time for "experts" who don't care about you, your car, and get paid near minimum wage to fix a puncture you're capable of addressing in 5 minutes for twenty cents in materials because you imagine tire plug failure is your demise, instead of high cholesterol and a malfunctioning endocrine system.

Last edited:
Reactions: fholbert