Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nintendo Switch charging in the rear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I will be going on a road trip for about 5 days and need to take my kids with me. One of them has a Nintendo Switch and I know in my ICE car, when plugged into the 12v plug, all that does is prolong the amount of time the switch lasts rather than charge it as it does not get sufficient power.
I know this is due to the limited watts available to the 12v plug, but wanted to know if anyone has a switch and charges it and maintains it charged while playing? What is the max output of the rear USB plugs?

I looked around but could not find a definitive answer. this is a 22 MY with USB-C in the back. I do not have access to the switch or child until trip day so would rather find out now and buy any adapters or plugs necessary.

Thanks

Not enough power to charge. Switch needs about 18watts. I think the car ones are max of 15 won’t break even if the thing is just on.

You will need a 12v to 120v ac adapter. Prob get a 300 watt one as the price difference is much compared to the less powerful ones.

Or a larger battery power station with ac power.

It will certainly charge (I've done so) but it might not be enough to maintain a full battery while it's being used. I'd say you'd get several hours before it's a problem though.
Hey all, I will be going on a road trip for about 5 days and need to take my kids with me. One of them has a Nintendo Switch and I know in my ICE car, when plugged into the 12v plug, all that does is prolong the amount of time the switch lasts rather than charge it as it does not get sufficient power.
I know this is due to the limited watts available to the 12v plug, but wanted to know if anyone has a switch and charges it and maintains it charged while playing? What is the max output of the rear USB plugs?

I looked around but could not find a definitive answer. this is a 22 MY with USB-C in the back. I do not have access to the switch or child until trip day so would rather find out now and buy any adapters or plugs necessary.

Thanks
I had similar questions about the rear USB-C ports' power level. Iirc I ran across a youtube video where they measured it at around 18 watts. That should be more than enough. I plugged an ipad and iphone both into a multi-headed cable off the rear port and both devices were charging nicely while on over 10 minutes or so. I didn't try to quantify it though.

My kid plays his switch back there all the time. It's no problem at all... I've plugged it in when the switch was at 0% and wouldn't turn on... You just have to give it about 2 minutes, to charge enough to get past the boot screen. Then once you do that, he was able to play the entire road trip. It was fully charged by either the next charging stop, or the one after.

Maybe it depends on the game he's playing, as I know on my laptop, some games are much more demanding, and drain the battery faster... My kid was playing Pokemon Violet all day long.