Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ - a one tag (plate) state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hookah66

Supporting Member
Jan 20, 2023
Florida
I picked up my MY from Paramus Tesla Center and my car was delivered with only temporary paper tag in the rear. The front plate frame mount was in the trunk and I was instructed to come back with the tags (plates) once they are mailed to me directly from NJ DMV. I asked about NJ senate bill S2355 that was introduced March 21, 2022 "requiring MVC to issue one license plate instead of two", and no one at Tesla center was aware of that and that they are required to install two tags, one in front and one in back. However I have observed a large number of vehicles (late models) that don't have any front tags mounted on the roads here in Bergen Co, specially brand new Tesla without front plate but with rear NJ plate only. Can any NJ driver enlighten me on this. Last time I posted this I got a lot of speculative comments, but I am interested to hear from fellow NJ drivers who got their Tesla recently.

Last edited:
While it's the rule that we should have both front and back lic plates... it's not an offence that cops could stop and fine you..
if cop stops you for some other reason - like speeding or parking violation -- they can fine you for that PLUS this no front lic plate..
so lot of tesla's owners taking that risk..
thank you ... I thought so, i.e. do at my own risk.

One temp plate but you’ll receive 2 plates. Most tesla owners seem to run just rear plates either because they don’t know how to mount it or don’t care for it. Unfortunately I drive through towns where cops can be…fussy so I ended putting mine on.