Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas the Lone Star, but Two Plate State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
Well I know that it's always been a two plate state, but let's be honest, it was a rule more honoured in the breach than the observance. Having said that, I just took the Prius in for an inspection and they said that since Dec 1st of 2023, they're starting to take it seriously

That sucks (but at least I had the second plate in the back so they attached it with zip ties) and might mean that I have to buy one of those removable front plate holders for my MY

I wonder how seriously they will take it. I still see a few vehicles with a cover over the rear plate which is no longer legal

it is a $200 fine, so its basically officer discretion. most don't even bother with it. small towns might take it more seriously as it can be a revenue generate similar to speeding tickets.

i see plenty of cars around Houston that have the front license plate suction cupped to the inside of the windshield, slanted at the same or similar angle as the windshield. technically, that is a violation as the law states:

(b) Unless otherwise prescribed by law, each vehicle registered under this subchapter:

(1) must display two license plates that are clearly visible, readable, and legible, one at the exterior front and one at the exterior rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in an upright horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom

TITLE 43TRANSPORTATION
PART 10TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 217VEHICLE TITLES AND REGISTRATION
SUBCHAPTER BMOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION
RULE §217.27Vehicle Registration Insignia

was it this guy?

1709304363084.png

• Funny
Reactions: TheGrumpyChad