Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Plate License in NJ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hookah66

Supporting Member
Jan 20, 2023
Florida
I am about to take delivery on or about Feb 14 of my 2023 MY LR 7 seater. Can anyone enlighten me on the current status of ONE license plate in NJ? I am talking about Senate Bill 2355 jointly introduced by Pollistina (Dist 2) & Durr (Dist 3) on Mar 21 2022 requiring NJ DMV to issue ONE plate for newly registered vehicles in NJ.

looks like it has only been introduced, could be awhile before voted on/passed
I am a snowbird from NJ currently on my FL winter sojourn. I was following the saga of Southern NJ Tesla owners not installing front plates ... As you have stated it was introduced on March 21, 2022 and my question is what is the current practice for new car registrations? I know it doesn't refer to exiting vehicles with two plates. My sister in law from Bergen Co. tells me she have seen new vehicles with one rear ONE license plate.

I am a snowbird from NJ currently on my FL winter sojourn. I was following the saga of Southern NJ Tesla owners not installing front plates ... As you have stated it was introduced on March 21, 2022 and my question is what is the current practice for new car registrations? I know it doesn't refer to exiting vehicles with two plates. My sister in law from Bergen Co. tells me she have seen new vehicles with one rear ONE license plate.
I was down at the local NJ service center the other day and they had dozens of cars lined up for delivery, I should have checked if they had front license plate holders or not, next time i'm in the area ill check

Reactions: hookah66
You can still be pulled over & ticketed by NJ police for no front license plate. Many risk it, others have purchased quick on/off plate holders. Since EV's in NJ don't need to go to vehicle inspection EVER, that would be another place where a car would fail for no front plate. The missing plate is enough for the police to initiate a traffic stop. From there, anything could happen.

Reactions: 101dals
You can still be pulled over & ticketed by NJ police for no front license plate. Many risk it, others have purchased quick on/off plate holders. Since EV's in NJ don't need to go to vehicle inspection EVER, that would be another place where a car would fail for no front plate. The missing plate is enough for the police to initiate a traffic stop. From there, anything could happen.
This is more about the bill in congress about only issuing 1 plate for new cars from now on, and whether that bill has passed or not yet. It has not.

We've purchased 3 new NJ cars since 2017 and haven't put a front plate on any. Never been stopped driving all over the state. Picking up a new MYLR in a few weeks and I don't plan to put a front plate on that one either.

Reactions: spiazza12