Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

no drill license plate holders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And in Texas all you have to do is place the front plate on dash and carry the registration if you don’t want to mount the plate.

Not to "well actually," but that's not right. If you're going to do that you might as well just not have one.

From the Texas Administrative Code (emphasis added):

(b) Unless otherwise prescribed by law, each vehicle registered under this subchapter:

(1) must display two license plates, one at the exterior front and one at the exterior rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in a horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom, except that a vehicle described by Transportation Code, §621.2061 may place the rear plate so that it is clearly visible; or

Years of not requiring a front plate pre-disposes me? *shrug*

Okay. I've never lived in a state where both plates were not required. A few years ago, here in Spokane, I had a car briefly (long story that I'm not going to repeat) that didn't have a front plate when I got it. My insurance agent told me they probably wouldn't bother me. Within the first few days I was stopped by a cop and given a warning. I had the plate put on.

Surprised at all the negativity in this thread.

First of all, The Law plate holder is available directly from TorqueLift for $100 as a preorder. I already ordered mine. I like that it is removable, appears to let you attach it lower than the factory plate system, and maybe even offset it to the side (not sure if that would look better or not). As someone who has been pulled over for not having a front plate, but doesn't want to permanently affix it to my Model 3, this seems to be a good solution.

Mind sharing which road or town you were pulled over in? I keep going back and forth about mounting the front plate. I’ve never not had a front plate so I have no experience on how often the NJ cops pull people over for missing one. I see plenty of cars around with no front plate, but most are from PA.

the question is this: realistically, how likely are you going to remove the license plate holder after you mount it? For me, very unlikely. Therefore the removable aspect has very little value to me. I'm ok with the adhesive version that comes with the car.

the question is this: realistically, how likely are you going to remove the license plate holder after you mount it? For me, very unlikely. Therefore the removable aspect has very little value to me. I'm ok with the adhesive version that comes with the car.

Yeah, me too. I don't anticipate ever living somewhere that the front plate is not required.

Mind sharing which road or town you were pulled over in? I keep going back and forth about mounting the front plate. I’ve never not had a front plate so I have no experience on how often the NJ cops pull people over for missing one. I see plenty of cars around with no front plate, but most are from PA.
A hunch: Being close to the border of a state that doesn't require a front plate probably lets you hide in plain sight. When you're a minimum 2-3 hours drive to the nearest state that doesn't require it you're far more likely to stick out.

I once while visiting from Alberta (no front issued or required) was pulled over a few hours inside of Saskatchewan (2 plates required) by an RCMP coming from the opposite direction on a divided 4-lane (the Transcan). He did a power turn through the ditch to do so, those ditches are very wide, he was taking his cruiser off-road to get to me. Quite hungry he was. :)

Of course then he could see my rear plate but went through the motions anyway. Stopped me, asked for my license and registration, and then muttered a gripe about AB not requiring plates on the front before waving me on. :rolleyes:

P.S. No, surprisingly I wasn't exceeding the speed limit at that point in time. It was only for the plate.

Reactions: jjh1234
A hunch: Being close to the border of a state that doesn't require a front plate probably lets you hide in plain sight. When you're a minimum 2-3 hours drive to the nearest state that doesn't require it you're far more likely to stick out.

I live in NJ. Everywhere in the entire state is close to PA! :D Most places in NJ are less than a 60 minute drive to the PA border. People still get pulled over for it here despite the decent mix of single plated PA vehicles. I’m just not sure how often it occurs.

Sure. I was pulled over in Hillsborough NJ (Somerset county) for nothing other than the plate. Got away with a warning because I had the plate in the trunk and explained that I was working on getting it mounted (I did then mount the plate). I have also been ticketed for no front plate, but that was a break given to me when I was pulled over for speeding in my G35 coupe. Honestly, I would rather have the plate ticket than the speeding ticket, but as I get older I find I speed less and worry about the annoyance of getting pulled over for the plate more. I think that police in NJ see the missing plate as an easy ticket to write when they need to hit quota.

I'm getting The Law bracket because I want the plate, if I do decide to mount it, to be as low as possible. While we don't need NJ inspection for our EVs, I do imagine there will come a time I need to mount it, even if only temporarily. I'd rather not use the adhesive on the PPF that I'm having installed to the front.

To each their own, for sure!

Sure. I was pulled over in Hillsborough NJ (Somerset county) for nothing other than the plate. Got away with a warning because I had the plate in the trunk and explained that I was working on getting it mounted (I did then mount the plate). I have also been ticketed for no front plate, but that was a break given to me when I was pulled over for speeding in my G35 coupe. Honestly, I would rather have the plate ticket than the speeding ticket, but as I get older I find I speed less and worry about the annoyance of getting pulled over for the plate more. I think that police in NJ see the missing plate as an easy ticket to write when they need to hit quota.

Hmmm, I’m not far from Hillsborough. I’m still on the fence about going with The Law bracket or taking my chances running a naked front bumper...

Where are you getting your PPF done?

I just got pulled over in Colorado for the missing plate only 5 miles from the New Mexico border (no plate required there). 3.5 years with no front plate. He just gave me a courtesy warning card.

Does this mean that the tape does leave evidence?
In discussions with detailing shops they have said that any adhesive will discolor if it is left on paint for extended periods of time. You may be good changing the adhesive (if you can) every 6 months. However you could be stuck buying a new Tesla holder every 6 months... in discussions on wraps for the front of cars and left for months or years will also result in discoloring and require detailing, or even painting. The Law holder does not impact the paint, but it’s the owners decision on what they want to do.. oh, I don’t have any attachment with the Law.

During delivery Tesla gave me no hole license plate. It is adhesive based.
D61FFD02-F898-4CF0-AF76-ABA86D771F33.jpeg
6F2E830E-A80F-4DED-97CA-DAD973619A78.jpeg
76FFB6B0-9A2A-467A-ADDF-A4673E67A23C.jpeg

Hmmm, I’m not far from Hillsborough. I’m still on the fence about going with The Law bracket or taking my chances running a naked front bumper...

Where are you getting your PPF done?

I'll probably run naked (bumper) until I have an issue, having The Law bracket in the car might even get me out of the ticket.

As for PPF, I'm planning on Signature Detailing of NJ, which is in Hillsborough. I've seen the work done by the owner Greg Gellas and been pleased.