Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

no drill license plate holders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 years, been fine with my S and every other vehicle I've had. It's a risk I am willing to take...again and again and again.

I had a Porsche briefly (electric conversion that turned out to be complete a disaster) and got stopped the first or second day I drove it on the streets here in Spokane. The cop gave me a warning and told me he'd be keeping an eye out for me.

Some folks think that they're above the law. There's a reason that both plates are required, even if some states choose not to have that requirement. My philosophy is either obey the law, or break it openly in protest and take the consequences, not try to get away with it because "My car is so pretty I shouldn't have to put a license plate on it."

Just my opinion.

• Disagree
Reactions: svp6 and Cnasty
Great story
I had a Porsche briefly (electric conversion that turned out to be complete a disaster) and got stopped the first or second day I drove it on the streets here in Spokane. The cop gave me a warning and told me he'd be keeping an eye out for me.

Some folks think that they're above the law. There's a reason that both plates are required, even if some states choose not to have that requirement. My philosophy is either obey the law, or break it openly in protest and take the consequences, not try to get away with it because "My car is so pretty I shouldn't have to put a license plate on it."

Just my opinion.

Great story.

Looking forward to more of your complaining about the Model 3 and insights on judicial laws and telling people your amazing opinions on what to do with their cars.

I understand not wanting a plate there.

I don't understand a contraption that puts the plate in the exact same place you would drill.

I guess if you see yourself eventually moving to a state where they don't require a plate.

But I'm not going to move out of CA, so I see no reason not to drill. The plate is staying there forever.

And when I sell I've never heard of getting dinged on price for having a plate up front.

Yeah, it's to make it easier automate hassling people at parking garages & make it easier to turn law enforcement into a profit center.

I'm not even joking. That's really the only "benefits".

Drivers who speed or run red lights hate those traffic cameras that catch you speeding or running red lights. Speeding and running red lights causes traffic accidents. Ticketing violators is not just to raise money for the cops. It's also to make the roads safer for the rest of us. Front plates make it easier to enforce traffic laws and traffic laws help keep us safer.

Sorry if some folks don't like having to wear an ID on the front of their car. It's one of the prices we pay to live in a society that tries to enforce traffic safety. I'm quite sure that nobody reading this ever runs a red light or drives faster than the speed limit. Front plates are the price you pay for allowing the cops to be able to catch those other people who don't respect your safety or mine.

Drivers who speed or run red lights hate those traffic cameras that catch you speeding or running red lights.

....get photo'd from the rear.

Ticketing violators is not just to raise money for the cops. It's also to make the roads safer for the rest of us. Front plates make it easier to enforce traffic laws and traffic laws help keep us safer.

No, it's not about safety. It's about the money. Study Suggests Using Two License Plates Saves Resources for States, Law Enforcement Agencies. (EDIT: And I guess not being bothered to put up a second camera? *shrug*)

“The license plate is a key factor in vehicle identification for that automation, and without proper identification, states are losing a large amount of revenue.”

Money is involved, but it's also about discouraging speeding and running red lights by putting a financial cost on reckless driving.

How about a compromise: No more traffic fines. Instead, mandatory jail time for running a red light or speeding.

Maybe it's just that I really don't care what a car looks like, but I do care about having some sort of penalty for reckless driving.

It’s kind of about both safety and money. There have been bills to make NJ a one plate state that have always failed. The company that makes the plates, 3M, has a monetary stake in this since they make a good amount of revenue off of selling two plates as opposed to one. As a result, 3M has been behind campaigns against states going from two plates to one. Check out this article: Should N.J. ditch the front license plate requirement?

Money is involved, but it's also about discouraging speeding and running red lights by putting a financial cost on reckless driving.

None of that was found to be plausible reason (primarily because they're generally 'running away' people, showing off the rear plate). Again, it's NOT about those safety things. :(

EDIT: BTW the data for that angle has sifted through. There are lots of jurisdictions to work with to bring it out. The hypothesis of "safety", while not unreasonable to make, doesn't hold up.

Last edited:
This was posted over another thread, but just in case those that are looking for another option (Holder is my avatar). Thanks
Home | 1.9.7.5 Creations

Original thread & development: Front License Plate Bracket For Tesla Model 3

IMG_9265.jpg

Reactions: PoitNarf