Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere in this forum (a while back so I’m unable to find it at the moment) that Tesla’s software has gone full visual even on refresh MS that have the USS hardware. Does your USS equipped Plaid still actually use the USS?
Yes, USS still works fine. Radar was working fine on my MS LR until I installed the steering wheel and they updated the SW. I just never updated past when it had radar support as no new features were added that were worth risking introducing phantom braking to a car that was flawless in that respect.

If they disable USS on my car, without something that is as good and fit for purpose as the USS, I'll sell it in a minute. I don't just rapidly update to the latest SW anymore until I read and hear what has been changed.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
Yes, USS still works fine. Radar was working fine on my MS LR until I installed the steering wheel and they updated the SW. I just never updated past when it had radar support as no new features were added that were worth risking introducing phantom braking to a car that was flawless in that respect.

If they disable USS on my car, without something that is as good and fit for purpose as the USS, I'll sell it in a minute. I don't just rapidly update to the latest SW anymore until I read and hear what has been changed.
Hello, regarding dropping radar support - did you have 3.0 or 2.5 at the time? My 2.5 MS is on latest update but so far, radar seems to work. At least when a snowstorm covered the front completely it gave a bunch of warnings and refused to engage TACC. However, phantom braking sometimes happen on TACC or autopilot, i think the car is afraid of shadows from bridges above, and sometimes wrong speed limites slow the car down.

Nope, doesn't have Park Assist or any distance measurement at all. It's pretty surprising considering the 3 and Y have had the Vision replacement for a while now (it's better than nothing, I would say), but the S and X do not.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a replacement. It isn't near as good, not even currently in the same real. Not to mention the camera placement will never allow it to "see" at the corners as well as the USS that are place there. I would call it an alternative at best. It is more like Tesla needed something they could tick the box with rather than a legitimate replacement.

Tesla absolutely cost them a 2023 Plaid sale (me) by removing the USS. Gutting something that I use repeatedly every day, and that has prevented untold damage on 3 of my Teslas, and having nothing to replace it with, was a hard stop for me. What did they give me in return? A total TBD with HW4, no access to many FSD features for who knows how long, or if ever to return.

Now I have taken the approach with Tesla which is I'll buy only when I can verify what functionality is actually being delivered, not what is promised.

I recently saw a M3 LR parked at a restaurant not far from my house. It clearly didn't have USS and its nose was already beat to hell. I was almost tempted to wait around and talk to the owner to see what their impressions were of not having USS. Maybe they didn't even know it was an option before.

The Y is where I was caught midstream. I had no idea how bad the impact of the radar removal was going to be. My instinct were correct, that it would be bad, but I had no replacement car option. Even then, I wasn't prepared for how bad it would be. So bad that after a few months, I was ready to dump the car. Thankfully there was a car shortage and I was able to get out without losing my shirt.

After that, my eyes were wide open. I wasn't about to be the fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me person. That is why I drove a 3 and Y that were USS neutered. I can't believe any morons on YT who peddle anything other than this is a piece of hooey spin on the removal of USS. The TV implementation to replace USS is total and utter rubbish. Knowing Tesla, we'll still be talking about this next year... Waiting for the next SW upgrade to make it better.

Reactions: Pacernow