Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise when driving at around 30 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello and Good Day Everyone! So recently on my 2023 M3 LR AWD (purchased in Oct 2023) with 2600 miles, I notice a noise when I am driving around 30-40 mph. I do not hear it when I have my music playing, only when it is quiet in the car. The noise was not there a week or two ago. I do understand there is road noise for the Tesla which I am still trying to get used to and when turning. The noise is hard to describe but it is only at those speeds. Also still trying to get used to the whirring noise that you hear slowing down or accelerating.

Hello and Good Day Everyone! So recently on my 2023 M3 LR AWD (purchased in Oct 2023) with 2600 miles, I notice a noise when I am driving around 30-40 mph. I do not hear it when I have my music playing, only when it is quiet in the car. The noise was not there a week or two ago. I do understand there is road noise for the Tesla which I am still trying to get used to and when turning. The noise is hard to describe but it is only at those speeds. Also still trying to get used to the whirring noise that you hear slowing down or accelerating.
As a realitvely new Tesla owner myself (Sept 2023) I had experience something similiar. It turn out to be the windows were not fully closed. I tired the double scroll wheel reset and still it would be noticable at roughly at the same speeds (30-40 mph). So what I did was to reset all the windows. From the drivers door window controls; lower the window all the way down and when it is down keep holding the button down for 10-15 ses, then raise the window and once all the way up keep holding the button for 10-15 secs. This trains the windows to fully open and close. Repeat these steps for the remaining 3 windows.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
Thank you guys for answering. It is more like a high pitched whine and when decelerating is it supposed to whirring noises slowing down - like a decelerating of a jet engine so to speak? I just do not want it to be any issue with the drive motor. If I had a problem with the drive motors, what would that sound like or what does one experience?

Upvote 0
I have the same issue since my I picked up my new 2023 in Dec. It almost sounds like what worn out brake pads would sound like if you were just driving down the road (not braking, but coasting) and the worn out pads were metal on metal,,,spinning. My Model 3 does not do this and I previously owned a BMW IX which was silent!. I was told that my car did not have the proper insulation when built and now to add it would be too much of an undertaking. It is especially noticeable when you lift your foot off accelerator at about 40 to 50 MPH and let it coast.

Upvote 0