Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor/Gear Noise on 2023 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my 2023 Model X LR Tax edition at the end of November 2023. I am moving from a single motor Model Y (rare single performance motor Y) whose motor/gear noise was extremely quiet. Now driving the X with the music off, I hear what seems like a lot of motor 'whine' which wavers louder and quieter depending on how fast your are going but persists regardless of if you are accelerating, maintaining speed or decelerating. When you are going freeway speeds it seems to quiet down more than when you are going 55 and below. This whine/gear noise seems to be more present when accelerating 'softly' and not putting a strong load on going fast.

I know with two motors and having one in the front closer to the driver can introduce more noise but I don't remember it being this loud when I test drove an X.
Just for clarity, I am not saying it is loud. It is more background noise that is not heard anymore if I turn the music on to normal levels.

Is that what everyone else is experiencing in their refresh LR X's?

I took delivery of my 2023 Model X LR Tax edition at the end of November 2023. I am moving from a single motor Model Y (rare single performance motor Y) whose motor/gear noise was extremely quiet. Now driving the X with the music off, I hear what seems like a lot of motor 'whine' which wavers louder and quieter depending on how fast your are going but persists regardless of if you are accelerating, maintaining speed or decelerating. When you are going freeway speeds it seems to quiet down more than when you are going 55 and below. This whine/gear noise seems to be more present when accelerating 'softly' and not putting a strong load on going fast.

I know with two motors and having one in the front closer to the driver can introduce more noise but I don't remember it being this loud when I test drove an X.
Just for clarity, I am not saying it is loud. It is more background noise that is not heard anymore if I turn the music on to normal levels.

I have a MYP and the MXP motors are louder at lower speed than the Y. There's that annoying vibration in the first minute or two that doesn't exist on the Y as well.

Reactions: davenlei

Yep! I took delivery of my Model X LR in December and the high pitched whine is annoying. I also I have Model 3 and don't hear it at all in that car. Most noticeable when driving on a smooth road with radio off,,,but yes very annoying and was wonder too if this is normal or something that can be fixed...Its also not the artificial sound ( I know what that sounds like)

Yep! I took delivery of my Model X LR in December and the high pitched whine is annoying. I also I have Model 3 and don't hear it at all in that car. Most noticeable when driving on a smooth road with radio off,,,but yes very annoying and was wonder too if this is normal or something that can be fixed...Its also not the artificial sound ( I know what that sounds like)
Wonder if there is some type of pre-fabbed third party noise insulator that can be installed to keep that from the cabin. Sounds like it is coming from the front motor to me.

I've owned a 2018 Model 3 RWD LR, then a 2019 Model 3 AWD Performance and now a 2023 Model X LR.

Definitely more motor whine in the X and I enjoy it actually it when my music isn't too loud to hear it. :cool:

In the Model 3's I usually would have to fold the rear seat down to get more motor noise.