Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-performance second hand prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on my recent experience I'll take a guess at the trade-in offer being around £35k at best. The offer on a 6 month old 75D with EAP/premium interior/metallic/carbon was £46k.

You might want to speak to R Symons Ltd about selling your car through their brokerage service, which will I'm sure realise a much higher price, but would require being without the car until it sells unless you can buy the new car before selling the old.

I honestly don't know how anyone could buy another car from tesla after their derisory trade in prices.

Why? They aren't geared up to provide a decent CPO experience and just pass on the trade quotes they receive from the brokers they go to. The likes of Richard Symons could make a good living out of taking the cars Tesla don't want and selling them, although granted the price reduction dents confidence massively. Failing that go to WBAC or go through the grief of selling privately.

I'm more concerned about whether finance houses will continue to offer PCP/lease deals unless Tesla are prepared to underwrite the future values.

Why? They aren't geared up to provide a decent CPO experience and just pass on the trade quotes they receive from the brokers they go to. The likes of Richard Symons could make a good living out of taking the cars Tesla don't want and selling them, although granted the price reduction dents confidence massively. Failing that go to WBAC or go through the grief of selling privately.

I'm more concerned about whether finance houses will continue to offer PCP/lease deals unless Tesla are prepared to underwrite the future values.

It's another example of some pretty short sighted thinking on the part of Tesla.

Their used car experience is laughably bad to the point of insanity. Basically insist on a deposit of £4k to buy a car you can't even see decent pictures of and that they won't guarantee the condition of, then kick up a massive fuss if you try and get that deposit back when the car is in shocking condition. Not even an option to see the vehicle in the flesh before commiting to buying a car often well in excess of £50k.

Then on the other side though, the best used car warranty offer from a manufacturer by far with 4 years of cover, which is frankly incredible compared to the competition, where you're usually lucky to get more than one year on an approved used car.

They could outsource the entire operation to a third party to manage for them if they really don't see it as core to their business, and still realise more profit and more goodwill. If it were me, I'd transport all used vehicles to a single site somewhere in the middle of the country, take excellent pictures of inside and out and allow people to view them all in a controlled environment. They can still insist on taking deposits online and don't even need to offer test drives, just let people look at their £50k purchase before having to make a commitment to buy! You wouldn't need more than one or two members of staff and a secure car park, but you'd give people the confidence to actually buy the cars and so could charge enough over the existing used prices to pay for itself comfortably I'm sure.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
It's another example of some pretty short sighted thinking on the part of Tesla.

Their used car experience is laughably bad to the point of insanity. Basically insist on a deposit of £4k to buy a car you can't even see decent pictures of and that they won't guarantee the condition of, then kick up a massive fuss if you try and get that deposit back when the car is in shocking condition. Not even an option to see the vehicle in the flesh before commiting to buying a car often well in excess of £50k.

Then on the other side though, the best used car warranty offer from a manufacturer by far with 4 years of cover, which is frankly incredible compared to the competition, where you're usually lucky to get more than one year on an approved used car.

They could outsource the entire operation to a third party to manage for them if they really don't see it as core to their business, and still realise more profit and more goodwill. If it were me, I'd transport all used vehicles to a single site somewhere in the middle of the country, take excellent pictures of inside and out and allow people to view them all in a controlled environment. They can still insist on taking deposits online and don't even need to offer test drives, just let people look at their £50k purchase before having to make a commitment to buy! You wouldn't need more than one or two members of staff and a secure car park, but you'd give people the confidence to actually buy the cars and so could charge enough over the existing used prices to pay for itself comfortably I'm sure.

I don’t disagree with any of this but they are just too stretched. TBH even their comms when you’re buying a new car can fall well short of reasonable expectations, never mind building a decent CPO business.