Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Non-SpaceX Specific Exploration Missions Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a Launch Video per se (although it does have a small video clip in the article), but a non-Telsa space event that (in a bit of a reach) linked Telsla in it's headlines, but in a positive way for a change:

OSIRIS-REx used a Tesla-esque navigation system to capture 4.5 billion-year-old regolith​

Article HERE. The crux of it was that they eschewed lidar for optical cameras to do navigation.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
That's cool. My kids went through some lava tubes in Iceland and their pictures were vvery cool.. natural strong underground shelter...
Yeah, lava tubes are amazing, partly because the lava flow solidifies in the tube, leaving a nice flat floor. They do have flaws, however, because the ceilings can collapse. The pit craters visible on the Moon are believed to be examples of roof collapses. Then there's the problem of quakes. Moon quakes are usually less than 3 on the Richter scale, but there have been some over 5. That's not good for the structural integrity of rock overhangs, even in low gravity.

Now consider the Boring Company operating off-planet.

I'm a little surprised that Elon hasn't been doing much with additive manufacturing. Transport a simple printer to your destination and bootstrap from there. Of course, you'd need some kind of infrastructure to provide the printer with raw materials. Automate the whole thing with Optimus.

Reactions: scaesare
NASA video
NASA will never go beyond high school presentations, so I'm really looking forward to an AI that can either textually describe the essential points of a research paper or even generate a video presentation of them. I gave up on NASA presentations a while ago due to the signal/noise ratio - which I have to assume is what works for aspiring high school engineers and scientists.

Reactions: Grendal

NASA’s Voyager 1 Is Glitching, Sending Nonsense From Interstellar Space

NASA’s Voyager 1 probe is experiencing a glitch that’s causing it to send a repeating, gibberish pattern of ones and zeroes back to Earth, the agency announced this week. The spacecraft is still able to receive and execute commands sent to it, but it’s unable to transmit back science or engineering data.

After ruling out other possibilities, the Voyager team determined the spacecraft’s issues stem from one of its three computers, called the flight data system (FDS). Last weekend, engineers tried to restart the FDS to see whether they could resolve the problem, but the probe still isn’t returning usable data, according to NASA.
Does not look hopeful. :(

However, both Voyagers have lasted decades beyond their original planned mission, so what they have accomplished is pretty impressive. This is mind blowing;
By today’s standards, the technology aboard the Voyager crafts is ancient. Their computers only have 69.63 kilobytes of memory—about enough to store an average jpeg file. To make room for new observations, they must erase data after sending it to Earth.

“The Voyager computers have less memory than the key fob that opens your car door,” Linda Spilker, a planetary scientist who started working on the Voyager missions in 1977, told Scientific American’s Tim Folger last year.

Reactions: JB47394
I have been bummed about this... I'm rather enamored with the Voyagers and the missions.

I've been watching the JPL Voyager Site News page for updates... and being patient as previous issues have some time taken months to resolve...

The good news is that it's still capable of receiving/executing commands it seems.
But unless you get back a positive affirmation and proof that it executed those commands successfully, you have no idea.

Does not look hopeful. :(

However, both Voyagers have lasted decades beyond their original planned mission, so what they have accomplished is pretty impressive. This is mind blowing;

By today’s standards, the technology aboard the Voyager crafts is ancient. Their computers only have 69.63 kilobytes of memory—about enough to store an average jpeg file. To make room for new observations, they must erase data after sending it to Earth.

“The Voyager computers have less memory than the key fob that opens your car door,” Linda Spilker, a planetary scientist who started working on the Voyager missions in 1977, told Scientific American’s Tim Folger last year.

That amount of memory on Voyager seems like a lot. I would've guessed 16k. I thought the first shuttles had 64k before the electronics were overhauled? What surprised me in that statement is that a key fob would have so much. I'm not sure if that's horrible engineering or that transistors are so cheap?

Maybe the 69.63K number is for backup computers? E.g. Three computers with 23.23K each?

But unless you get back a positive affirmation and proof that it executed those commands successfully, you have no idea.
Well there's 3 onboard computers with the telemetry modulation unit (TMU) being the one that the other computers, including the flight data system (FDS) which gathers scientific instrument data, send information to to transmit back to earth. It then has the Computer Command System (CCS) which does command/control and memory management.

The garbled data appears to be the FDS provided data forwarded to the TMU to send. So ostensibly the other non-scientific data (such as flight control and vehicle status from CCS) are coming back ok.

Since the team was able to restart the FDS, I would imagine that's how they did it and were able to verify with the vehicle CCS. And even seeing the garbled data stream stop then successfully resume after a reboot command would be rudimentary validation it had received and executed the command.

Last edited:
That amount of memory on Voyager seems like a lot. I would've guessed 16k. I thought the first shuttles had 64k before the electronics were overhauled? What surprised me in that statement is that a key fob would have so much. I'm not sure if that's horrible engineering or that transistors are so cheap?

Maybe the 69.63K number is for backup computers? E.g. Three computers with 23.23K each?

There's actually 3 computers with redundant units for each, so 6...

I think that memory may be just for the CCS.

The JAXA SLIM lunar lander mission got within 55m of its targeted landing location, which is amazingly good, but unfortunately during final descent, at 50m above the surface one of its two engines lost power and the lander ended up on its side. That means its solar panels won’t generate enough power to keep it going. It was able to deploy two small probes and one of them returned this photo. Oops!

IMG_0581.jpeg

• Informative
The JAXA SLIM lunar lander mission got within 55m of its targeted landing location, which is amazingly good, but unfortunately during final descent, at 50m above the surface one of its two engines lost power and the lander ended up on its side. That means its solar panels won’t generate enough power to keep it going. It was able to deploy two small probes and one of them returned this photo. Oops!
Fire the thrusters to roll it. If the vehicle is gonna die anyway, give it a good kick.

At least their little deployable rovers did what they were there for.