Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Novated Lease c/km claim for EV's (Australia)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jules22

Sep 2, 2023
Canberra
Was just talking to my NL company (Smart Salary) and they advised that they have been authorised by the ATO to start allowing claiming of home charging via the c/km method. He wasn't certain but believes it to be 4.2c/km (which is a lot more than charging is actually costing me!).

They should be communicating out to customers very soon and have the facility in the app to enter your current km's and have calculate and claim.

Good news, I assume all other NL companies will have a similar facility.

Reactions: RichardV and jq371
Was just talking to my NL company (Smart Salary) and they advised that they have been authorised by the ATO to start allowing claiming of home charging via the c/km method. He wasn't certain but believes it to be 4.2c/km (which is a lot more than charging is actually costing me!).

They should be communicating out to customers very soon and have the facility in the app to enter your current km's and have calculate and claim.

Good news, I assume all other NL companies will have a similar facility.
Good to know. I’m due to start my lease in 2 weeks and wondered how that side of things was going to work

Reactions: Jules22
Interesting. My leasing company (Orix) advised me in December they aren’t doing this yet as the guidance is still in draft state. Hopefully it comes out of draft state soon so more companies can offer this.

Yeah, that is what Smart Salary were telling me previously, just got this news today that it's all been approved.

Just said that they've received approval from the ATO to start using the per km rate.

I'd be very surprised if it was limited to one or some providers.

They also said it could be back dated to the purchase date. I'm guessing that's because mine was in the financial year. Don't know if it can be backdated earlier