Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NVX Boost Subwoofer upgrade - installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are looking for a nicely integrated bass / subwoofer upgrade for your 5-seater Y but don’t want to take up too much space, this is a great option. The only loss to space is the “milk” pockets on either side of the rear storage area. Or one pocket if you install a single side. You can add the second side later to save some $ but it is a bit easier to do it all at once.

I installed both the driver and passenger side and would rate the install a 5 out of 10, very doable if you have some experience. Take your time when removing panels and taking pictures will help with reassembly and clip locations. Strongly recommend a full system shutdown including disconnecting the high voltage interlock loop and negative battery terminal before connecting the 12V power cable to the penthouse. The bolt in that area is positioned in a way that could easily short using a ratchet so it is best to power down. You can find the process below. It is nice to not have to pull 12V power all the way from the frunk 12V battery, saves time. Would be nice if NVX provided molex connectors that went between the factory amp and the aftermarket amp to prevent the need to splice into factory wiring for signal and LOC power.

Fit and finish is very nice and the bass is strong, yet balanced once properly tuned. Don’t expect “hair tricks” but it is great #DADBASS. I do think these subs would hit harder if given 500 watts RMS each but worry about pulling too many amps from the penthouse / 12V battery and receiving 12V issues. Someone else can test 1000 watts RMS at 1 ohm (for both sides) and report back. Rattles in the vehicle are surprisingly minimal.

Have been running this setup for about a month and have had no issues. This setup produces 500W total at 1 ohm (both sides). If you purchase a single side it would be 320 watts RMS using their amp. The amp is crazy small, no idea how it puts out this much power.

Not sure if this impacts range much but was not concerned about it. If it does I don’t really notice and the tradeoff is worth it. My remote bass knob is near the seat controls. Easy to access and not permanent. Songs can have unique bass characteristics (especially when switching sources) and I seem to adjust it a lot to dial in the desired impact.

Happy to answer questions and before you ask, not sure how Tesla SC will react when they see this. Not incredibly difficult to uninstall if you have to, maybe take 45 minutes.

Attachments

• 5804BB32-468F-411B-8D2A-6DD899FB59ED.jpeg
    5804BB32-468F-411B-8D2A-6DD899FB59ED.jpeg
    562 KB · Views: 4,872
  • FD367DAD-E519-4382-90D9-59C5FB59EE56.jpeg
    FD367DAD-E519-4382-90D9-59C5FB59EE56.jpeg
    539.7 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 157F1348-01DB-4040-9ACA-AD7A14866D64.jpeg
    157F1348-01DB-4040-9ACA-AD7A14866D64.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 1,047
  • E70E6D7D-CFD9-4E80-9981-0056B7025668.jpeg
    E70E6D7D-CFD9-4E80-9981-0056B7025668.jpeg
    699 KB · Views: 1,066
  • B78A2DA3-9F3C-4DE6-BE9E-84D870F9E1D2.jpeg
    B78A2DA3-9F3C-4DE6-BE9E-84D870F9E1D2.jpeg
    547 KB · Views: 1,142
  • D6C97F52-B622-4701-90A2-E61688390EC6.jpeg
    D6C97F52-B622-4701-90A2-E61688390EC6.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 1,095
  • AE9C1140-CCB5-417B-AC35-7F825AFF5870.jpeg
    AE9C1140-CCB5-417B-AC35-7F825AFF5870.jpeg
    513.7 KB · Views: 1,116
Some more images

Attachments

• 5F7C1DDF-EB50-42AD-B62F-1F7CE55F9CFE.jpeg
    5F7C1DDF-EB50-42AD-B62F-1F7CE55F9CFE.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 1,023
  • DBDDF13E-6D86-44F6-B555-AC09E0A1FF37.jpeg
    DBDDF13E-6D86-44F6-B555-AC09E0A1FF37.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 985
  • 9699326B-45AA-40A7-8F76-026192920640.jpeg
    9699326B-45AA-40A7-8F76-026192920640.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 935
  • 87006E1D-32CE-45BE-8F3B-E49F2D620B12.jpeg
    87006E1D-32CE-45BE-8F3B-E49F2D620B12.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 907
  • 1AB2C1CE-3791-4296-86DE-26B6C5225D0C.jpeg
    1AB2C1CE-3791-4296-86DE-26B6C5225D0C.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 934
  • 5605B2A5-FC99-4ACD-B380-29F5A1F17734.jpeg
    5605B2A5-FC99-4ACD-B380-29F5A1F17734.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,059
If you are looking for a nicely integrated bass / subwoofer upgrade for your 5-seater Y but don’t want to take up too much space, this is a great option. The only loss to space is the “milk” pockets on either side of the rear storage area. Or one pocket if you install a single side. You can add the second side later to save some $ but it is a bit easier to do it all at once.

I installed both the driver and passenger side and would rate the install a 5 out of 10, very doable if you have some experience. Take your time when removing panels and taking pictures will help with reassembly and clip locations. Strongly recommend a full system shutdown including disconnecting the high voltage interlock loop and negative battery terminal before connecting the 12V power cable to the penthouse. The bolt in that area is positioned in a way that could easily short using a ratchet so it is best to power down. You can find the process below. It is nice to not have to pull 12V power all the way from the frunk 12V battery, saves time. Would be nice if NVX provided molex connectors that went between the factory amp and the aftermarket amp to prevent the need to splice into factory wiring for signal and LOC power.

Fit and finish is very nice and the bass is strong, yet balanced once properly tuned. Don’t expect “hair tricks” but it is great #DADBASS. I do think these subs would hit harder if given 500 watts RMS each but worry about pulling too many amps from the penthouse / 12V battery and receiving 12V issues. Someone else can test 1000 watts RMS at 1 ohm (for both sides) and report back. Rattles in the vehicle are surprisingly minimal.

Have been running this setup for about a month and have had no issues. This setup produces 500W total at 1 ohm (both sides). If you purchase a single side it would be 320 watts RMS using their amp. The amp is crazy small, no idea how it puts out this much power.

Not sure if this impacts range much but was not concerned about it. If it does I don’t really notice and the tradeoff is worth it. My remote bass knob is near the seat controls. Easy to access and not permanent. Songs can have unique bass characteristics (especially when switching sources) and I seem to adjust it a lot to dial in the desired impact.

Happy to answer questions and before you ask, not sure how Tesla SC will react when they see this. Not incredibly difficult to uninstall if you have to, maybe take 45 minutes.

Nice Install. How long did it take you?

I’d say the install took me around 5 hours start to finish and I took my time. I got one of the early units before they had install instructions and they have since posted a video on YouTube.

I have lots of picture if you need different angles.
You have inspired me, but since I already have great amps plus a good LOC I think I am going to use those. As I mentioned to you in the other thread, it’s just a matter of keeping my JL audio amps low.

My question is how good are the NVX 10” subs themselves? I also have good subs but I am having a hard time locating solid anchor points for sub boxes in the hatch. The NVX subs are at least neatly tucked away. Also, how deep is that sub box, wonder if I could install a longer throw sub to the NVX box?

You have inspired me, but since I already have great amps plus a good LOC I think I am going to use those. As I mentioned to you in the other thread, it’s just a matter of keeping my JL audio amps low.

My question is how good are the NVX 10” subs themselves? I also have good subs but I am having a hard time locating solid anchor points for sub boxes in the hatch. The NVX subs are at least neatly tucked away. Also, how deep is that sub box, wonder if I could install a longer throw sub to the NVX box?
I don’t know the exact hole cutouts and depth but you can probably lookup the sub dimensions on the NVX site and compare to what you have.

Totally agree if you already have a nice amp and LOC then use those to save $. Should be able to have a custom box made to fit into the lower trunk section for a reasonable price.

The NVX subs sound surprisingly good as a well-balanced system but the sweet part of this setup is the custom molded boxes that take up little usable space.

Keep us posted!

I don’t know the exact hole cutouts and depth but you can probably lookup the sub dimensions on the NVX site and compare to what you have.

Totally agree if you already have a nice amp and LOC then use those to save $. Should be able to have a custom box made to fit into the lower trunk section for a reasonable price.

The NVX subs sound surprisingly good as a well-balanced system but the sweet part of this setup is the custom molded boxes that take up little usable space.

Keep us posted!
I just ordered the NVX, figured I would start. More stealth install and hopefully all I need. Might get the second box later.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
Let me know if you need some more pictures or help. If you have installed an amp before then this is not too bad. Congrats!
Thanks I will let you know. I have installed many amps subs before. Just that as I get older I am not as inclined to do it as in the past. I know just want a simple install that takes less time.

I am already looking at replacement subs for the box. Figured if you can't use too much power try to get a longer throw sub in there, at least one that is relatively efficient. Wish I could fit an IDMax10 or a 10W6 in there.

OK. Got the NVX setup and installed it. I think this setup sounds as good as it can with the limitations imposed. The fact that it is a stealth setup with limited room and that the amps have to be relatively low power as not to blow error codes.

I think for most this is an great way to add a little more fullness to the Y's sound. I think one sub is perfectly fine in that two subs might overwhelm the the other speakers seeing that the system in place in not a high wattage affair and a lot of subs will just take over especially since the Y has a lot of cabin gain.

I also tried out a spare 12" high quality sub with the NVX amp and it does sound better. It goes lower and is a bit tighter than the NVX sub too, but of course there is a trade off in that it is no longer a stealth setup.

What I did find is that as has been mentioned switching the polarity helped, but only with the NVX sub, not the 12" sub that I tried. Makes me suspect the wiring or the polarity of the NVX subs is switched around.

OK. Got the NVX setup and installed it. I think this setup sounds as good as it can with the limitations imposed. The fact that it is a stealth setup with limited room and that the amps have to be relatively low power as not to blow error codes.

I think for most this is an great way to add a little more fullness to the Y's sound. I think one sub is perfectly fine in that two subs might overwhelm the the other speakers seeing that the system in place in not a high wattage affair and a lot of subs will just take over especially since the Y has a lot of cabin gain.

I also tried out a spare 12" high quality sub with the NVX amp and it does sound better. It goes lower and is a bit tighter than the NVX sub too, but of course there is a trade off in that it is no longer a stealth setup.

What I did find is that as has been mentioned switching the polarity helped, but only with the NVX sub, not the 12" sub that I tried. Makes me suspect the wiring or the polarity of the NVX subs is switched around.
Congrats! How long did the install take? Agreed, it is a compromise to have a stealth setup but definitely much better than stock.

Congrats! How long did the install take? Agreed, it is a compromise to have a stealth setup but definitely much better than stock.
The install took about 4-5 hours with tuning included. Also worth mentioning, uninstalling the Bio defense filter in order to get to the battery took me about 20 minutes.

Right now I have my 12” sub in and using that. Looking for a replacement 10” sub for the stealthbox not too many good subs will fit In the box or that space for that matter.

The install took about 4-5 hours with tuning included. Also worth mentioning, uninstalling the Bio defense filter in order to get to the battery took me about 20 minutes.

Right now I have my 12” sub in and using that. Looking for a replacement 10” sub for the stealthbox not too many good subs will fit In the box or that space for that matter.
Let us know if you find a good replacement sub that hits a bit deeper. Sounds like you wired it to the battery vs penthouse, that would definitely add some time.

I’d say the install took me around 5 hours start to finish and I took my time. I got one of the early units before they had install instructions and they have since posted a video on YouTube.

I have lots of picture if you need different angles.
Thanks for the great info. Did you replace any other speakers? I was thinking of this and/or the light harmonics speaker replacements. Thank you!

Thank you! Did you replace any other speakers? I was thinking of this nvx and/or the light harmonics speaker replacement. Would love your thoughts. Thank you!