Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Subwoofer Enclosed Box 10"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After installing the NVX boost box in a 2023 Model Y, I'm not happy with the fit and finish at all - it is 💩. I would not encourage anyone to purchase the NVX sub box if you have a 2023. 2020-22 only in my opinion.

Current options:
  • Hope NVX releases an updated boost box for the 2023 Model Y
    • Not holding my breath on this one
  • Orella Acoustics plug-n-play 8" replacement + amp
    • All the videos I see (which are only like 2 from people not Orella) speak highly of it, but nobody seems blown away by the bass response. Tells me it is probably just "ok". Makes since, since it's only an 8" sub. As someone who has grown up on bandpass boxes, I already know I won't be happy.
    • Overpriced in my opinion. $850 for something they don't even post specs for and nobody is blown away by - and from a new company? Nope.
  • JBL Stealthbox for the Model Y,
    • Can't find anyone doing reviews on this, so it is a risky purchase for $1K.
    • I could at least re-use my NVX amp - BUT looking at the instal instructions, it is based on the 2020/22 design in the back. The frame is different in the 2023, so I worry about fit-n-finish, just like the NVX box.
  • Make my own fiberglass enclosure
    • DIY project I have no interest in right now. Would be fun since I have 2 10" NVX subs that I could power, but I really don't want to take up trunk space. I'm not 22 anymore
This leads me to this find:

Tesla Model Y Subwoofer Enclosed Box 10" from Hepaking.

20230509104909571.jpg

Initial Thoughts/Questions
  1. Has anyone tried this? It looks like a replacement for the 8" sub enclosure
  2. Roughly $300 when including shipping, which is $150
  3. I could re-use my NVX sub and amp which is a plus. Enclosure space looks directionally close to the NVX fiberglass enclosure
  4. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
After installing the NVX boost box in a 2023 Model Y, I'm not happy with the fit and finish at all - it is 💩. I would not encourage anyone to purchase the NVX sub box if you have a 2023. 2020-22 only in my opinion.

Current options:
    • All the videos I see (which are only like 2 from people not Orella) speak highly of it, but nobody seems blown away by the bass response. Tells me it is probably just "ok". Makes since, since it's only an 8" sub. As someone who has grown up on bandpass boxes, I already know I won't be happy.
    • Overpriced in my opinion. $850 for something they don't even post specs for and nobody is blown away by - and from a new company? Nope.
    • I could at least re-use my NVX amp - BUT looking at the instal instructions, it is based on the 2020/22 design in the back. The frame is different in the 2023, so I worry about fit-n-finish, just like the NVX box.
    • DIY project I have no interest in right now. Would be fun since I have 2 10" NVX subs that I could power, but I really don't want to take up trunk space. I'm not 22 anymore

20230509104909571.jpg

3. I could re-use my NVX sub and amp which is a plus. Enclosure space looks directionally close to the NVX fiberglass enclosure
  4. Any other thoughts?
I am wondering the plastic enclosure may create noise when u install with a high power 10” subwoofer.

Recently I had installed a 200W 8” subwoofer to the 8” original sub enclosure and a 200W 12” subwoofer to an external sub enclosure. Both were powered by a 400W micro amp. The 12” subwoofer can offer much deeper bass compare with the 8” subwoofer but it will take up half of the space of the rear bottom trunk.

Truth be told it fits like $hit on a ‘22 as well; the sound isn’t that impressive either. The latter might just require additional tuning on my end.

If I could do it all again I would install one 12 in a custom box mounted in the sub-trunk.

Reactions: St3phen
Get yourself a stereo integrity SQL-12 sun and build a .8cf box and put it in the trunk well. Insanely powerful and super clean bass for $300 + box + amp. Note you’ll probably want to run it on more like 1000W but will still pound on 500 in a Y. I have mine in a 3.
IMG_1896 2_Original.jpeg

Get yourself a stereo integrity SQL-12 sun and build a .8cf box and put it in the trunk well. Insanely powerful and super clean bass for $300 + box + amp. Note you’ll probably want to run it on more like 1000W but will still pound on 500 in a Y. I have mine in a 3.
View attachment 962437
I'm leaning toward a similar route, but with the NVX 10" that I currently have. I found a box from Altrend but they discontinued it, so now it is build time if I can't find something else. Tricky with the sub-trunk dimensions - basically needs to be a 14" box

I'm leaning toward a similar route, but with the NVX 10" that I currently have. I found a box from Altrend but they discontinued it, so now it is build time if I can't find something else. Tricky with the sub-trunk dimensions - basically needs to be a 14" box
Yeah, most subs are going to probably want anywhere from .5 - 1cf of space. In the trunk well, the bottom it has a slope, so your box can't be too tall. From what I remember you can't really have anything taller than about 10", and in the middle, up to 16" from front to back and side to side is about 23". I actually cut the carpet out of the bottom of that trunk well to give me another inch because the SQL-12 is almost 9" deep by itself, so factoring in 1.5" of box thickness (top/bottom), you'd need about 10.5", and another .5" for cooling behind the magnet, so 11".

If I was going to try to go as small as possible with a box, I'd probably try the SI BM-11, which is a shallow mount 11" sub for about $400: BM-11 You can go with like a .5cf box, which dimensionally you could do like 14 x 14 x 7!

The SI subs give you fantastic sound quality, and decent thump for a fraction of the cost of something like the JL or AudioFrog. I'm guessing the NVX is going to be pretty OK at best, considering it's a sub-$100 woofer.

Reactions: St3phen
Is there a plug-n-play amp wiring harness for the model y. I have a 2023 model Y performance a JL 1200hd amp, and a JBL 12WGTI Sub that I'm thinking of installing. Will this amp/sub combo cause any electrical issues with the Y
I ran into an issue installing a 1000W amp in my ‘22 model y Performance. Others have had no issues running the same amp on their cars.

As far as amp wiring harnesses, I used this for my install.

Current options:

20230509104909571.jpg

4. Any other thoughts?
I would use that enclosure with a JL 10 TW3 if you're going to use an external amp. The TW3 is a Dual Voice Coil 4 ohm unit vs the oem is a 2 ohm. But if you're using an external amp, that shouldn't be an issue. I modelled the 10 TW3 with WinISD using a 0.5 cu ft enclosure, and this driver had the best output and extension of all the drivers I considered (thin mount 10" drivers).

I ran into an issue installing a 1000W amp in my ‘22 model y Performance. Others have had no issues running the same amp on their cars.

As far as amp wiring harnesses, I used this for my install.

What was the problem with the install? Did you need a 2nd 12V battery to power the 1000W amp? I don't have a MY but I'm trying to figure out if my 12V battery can handle a 3rd amp (either 1500 or 3000 Watts) to feed my SI SQL 12.

View attachment 962437
It pounds with just 500 Watts? Can you feel a chest thump with rock/al music? That's what I've been chasing for and my Audiomobile Evo 10 sub in the custom box (.5 cubic ft) in the corner doesn't cut it for me. If it does then I don't need to install a 3rd amp just for the SQ SQL 12.

I ordered a SI SQL 12 and going to see if I can mount in the same spot but get a builder to modify the existing sub enclosure for more internal volume. I currently have my 5th channel powering the Audiomobile but I was told to run an amp with at least 1500 Watts to the SI SQL 12. I don't know if my older MS's electrical system can handle 3 amps with a fuse rating of 250 A.

What was the problem with the install? Did you need a 2nd 12V battery to power the 1000W amp? I don't have a MY but I'm trying to figure out if my 12V battery can handle a 3rd amp (either 1500 or 3000 Watts) to feed my SI SQL 12.
There were no problems really. I had gotten an error trying to complete a Tesla Software update which pushed me to install a disconnect switch between the amp and the penthouse. I was regularly leaving the circuit open in order to complete my software updates. I forgot to do it prior to my most recent software update and it went through successfully without issue.... go figure 🤷🏿‍♂️.

Reactions: siamnet
There were no problems really. I had gotten an error trying to complete a Tesla Software update which pushed me to install a disconnect switch between the amp and the penthouse. I was regularly leaving the circuit open in order to complete my software updates. I forgot to do it prior to my most recent software update and it went through successfully without issue.... go figure 🤷🏿‍♂️.
Ok. Thank you. I'm waiting on my SQL 12 to be shipped. I will stick with my current amp since I'm a bit over budget on audio upgrades for this year already.

Reactions: Kwame