Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obscure accessories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate the lack of proper blind spot warnings, have had 2 near misses in my first month of ownership because of this oversight. So those mirrors are on my shopping list, but the thought of breaking something gives me pause.

I was discussing this exact point with my father (who's envious about the impending arrival of my MY) a few days ago. He's going to trade in their 10-year-old Lexus RX350 for a new one, and one big reason is to get the blind spot alert on the side mirrors. I said the MY doesn't have those and he was surprised. I agree. I think it's a failing.

I'm curious, because I haven't yet driven a Tesla. Have you found the real-time "Driving Status" visualization on the touchscreen to be an insufficient compensation for the lack of a blind spot alert? Or are you not yet in the habit of looking at that instead of your mirror to "check" your blind spot?

Reactions: CO_MY
I was discussing this exact point with my father (who's envious about the impending arrival of my MY) a few days ago. He's going to trade in their 10-year-old Lexus RX350 for a new one, and one big reason is to get the blind spot alert on the side mirrors. I said the MY doesn't have those and he was surprised. I agree. I think it's a failing.

I'm curious, because I haven't yet driven a Tesla. Have you found the real-time "Driving Status" visualization on the touchscreen to be an insufficient compensation for the lack of a blind spot alert? Or are you not yet in the habit of looking at that instead of your mirror to "check" your blind spot?

So I've never had a car with mirror blind spot warnings (or any blind spot warnings) so I can't talk about missing them. That said, I can say the on screen view of the cars around you does not help me when changing lanes.. Cars fall off the screen before they are far enough away for me to want to move into the lane... .so I still do the look over the shoulder thing and I will tell you I feel like the passenger side blind spot is harder to see vs my old Camry.

Now there is talk that Tesla will add the view from the side camera in the main screen when the blinker turns on... now that I think would be fantastic and that I would use because it will be way better than what I could see- but I hope its the entire main part of the screen, not just a small window like when you back up because I want to see it all in a quick glance at the screen.

I will add that when you are in autopilot, its less of a concern because of 2 things- 1) autopilot detects that its safe to move into a lane because it shows the lane in blue (I still use the confirm setting in lane changing) and 2) when in autopilot I can actually take longer to look at the blind spot because the car is doing most of the driving.

That's my 2 cents.

• Informative
Reactions: WhyYesPlease
So I've never had a car with mirror blind spot warnings (or any blind spot warnings) so I can't talk about missing them. That said, I can say the on screen view of the cars around you does not help me when changing lanes.. Cars fall off the screen before they are far enough away for me to want to move into the lane... .so I still do the look over the shoulder thing and I will tell you I feel like the passenger side blind spot is harder to see vs my old Camry.

Now there is talk that Tesla will add the view from the side camera in the main screen when the blinker turns on... now that I think would be fantastic and that I would use because it will be way better than what I could see- but I hope its the entire main part of the screen, not just a small window like when you back up because I want to see it all in a quick glance at the screen.

I will add that when you are in autopilot, its less of a concern because of 2 things- 1) autopilot detects that its safe to move into a lane because it shows the lane in blue (I still use the confirm setting in lane changing) and 2) when in autopilot I can actually take longer to look at the blind spot because the car is doing most of the driving.

That's my 2 cents.
That is a fantastic idea. I hope they do it!

Reactions: WhyYesPlease
I

The visualizations are not a replacement for using mirrors and looking over your shoulder. And if you do those two things there are no "blind spots".

The visual only shows cars in front of you, and right next to you. If the car is a few inches behind you it won't show up. So if you rely on the visualization, you might not hit anyone but you'll constantly be cutting people off way too close for comfort.

It's also not nearly accurate enough.

The visual only shows cars in front of you, and right next to you. If the car is a few inches behind you it won't show up. So if you rely on the visualization, you might not hit anyone but you'll constantly be cutting people off way too close for comfort.

It's also not nearly accurate enough.

Good to know. Thank you.

there is talk that Tesla will add the view from the side camera in the main screen when the blinker turns on

THAT would be excellent.

So to get back to the original question... Accessories that are unusual... Here are my 3 not normal accessories that I really like on my MY:

Cell phone holder that clips to the top of the screen with a sunglasses holder in the back...
https://www.amazon.com/Cellphone-Monitor-Wireless-Charger-Without/dp/B083W1SCN4?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Now I have a iPhone 7+ so no wireless charging- so I changed the wireless, powered holder for a dumb spring one I had- but I like the solid fit of the holder and I didn't think I would like the sunglasses holder, but I really really do! Its really thin and you'll not really see it around the screen.

Vinyl "T" for my Blue MY 19" Gemini Tires...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R562TBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I honestly only wanted the Blue T for my 19" tires (don't think they would look as good on the black rims) but my son liked the extra decals and I put the blue T also on the side cameras. Honestly I think if you have the 19" Gemini wheels, putting the color matched T in the center really makes a difference.

25' 20 amp Extension Cord
AC WORKS 25 ft. 12/3 SJTW 20 Amp NEMA 5-20 Indoor/Outdoor Lighted End Extension Cord-S520PR-25 - The Home Depot
So I always keep it in my under trunk, not the main under trunk but the one where the 2nd seat will go... that one. This extension cord and my mobile charger setup is always sitting in there. I wanted to get something with 12 gauge wire and it has the 20 amp (sideways) plug, but I also have the 15 amp adapter:
AC WORKS Plug Adapter, 15-Amp 125-Volt Household Plug to 20-Amp T-Blade Female Outlet Adapter (NEMA 5-15P to 5-15/20R)-M515520T-BK - The Home Depot
because a 20 amp cord can run 15 amps, but not vice versa...
And I carry these because- well, you never know.

I hate the lack of proper blind spot warnings, have had 2 near misses in my first month of ownership because of this oversight. So those mirrors are on my shopping list, but the thought of breaking something gives me pause.

Do you have them adjusted correctly?

How To Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

I've followed what the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has said for at least ten years and I absolutely love it. In three different cars I've owned in that time I've been able to see a car in my rear view mirror continue into my side mirror (without any gap, in fact I'll see a smidge of it in the rear view mirror and part of it in my side mirror) and then out of the corner of my eye while the end of it is still in my side mirror. I never have a spot where it doesn't show up in either the rear view mirror, side mirror, or periphery vision. Most the time I can keep track of a bike this way too, but there COULD be times based on it's smaller size that it gets lost between the two for a second, so I still always turn my head. However, using this method gives you so much more awareness and I think safety. Obviously I can't see side sides of my car at all in the side mirrors but that only becomes an issue when backing into tight spaces or trying to get very close to a curb without scratching wheels... thankfully Tesla mirrors auto tilt down when in reverse AND the backup camera helps greatly. Still check behind you, but once you know it's clear those two auto adjustments make backing up easy.

I'm really hoping the Model Y can be adjusted far enough out to make this work... it did with Model 3...

Here is something I’ve never seen up until today.

replacement wide angle side mirrors.
Tesla Model Y

I don’t think I’ll be doing it to my Y but definitely an obscure accessory
I do think Tesla continues to disappoint here with the lack of blind spot monitoring, which is really useful as an additional check. Although I'm more interested in the tint. I'm really going to miss the dimming mirrors from my Model S. Very sad those got pulled. Maybe I can make them blue without replacing the mirrors.