Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OCD About Overheat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's getting really hot where I live lately, and I love the cabin overheat protection feature! However, I am very worried about wearing out the HVAC system over time. I'm not concerned about how much energy it's consuming, only the wear-and-tear of its use 8+ hrs per day. Is my fear warranted?

With my previous ICE vehicles, I would use the AC sparingly, rolling down the windows unless really necessary. I've seen too many HVACs fail over time in ICE vehicles, with those obviously only running while driving. The idea of the AC running all day just seems to me like it's not going to last very long.

Am I going to have to replace my M3's HVAC system for a hundreds of dollars each year if I overuse this feature?

It's getting really hot where I live lately, and I love the cabin overheat protection feature! However, I am very worried about wearing out the HVAC system over time. I'm not concerned about how much energy it's consuming, only the wear-and-tear of its use 8+ hrs per day. Is my fear warranted?

With my previous ICE vehicles, I would use the AC sparingly, rolling down the windows unless really necessary. I've seen too many HVACs fail over time in ICE vehicles, with those obviously only running while driving. The idea of the AC running all day just seems to me like it's not going to last very long.

Am I going to have to replace my M3's HVAC system for a hundreds of dollars each year if I overuse this feature?

I set mine to fan only so the AC compressor does not come on. Personally, I would just turn it off altogether but some are saying it is not good to expose the display to 170 degree cabin temperatures. I don't know...