Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cabin Overheat Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real issue I'm having is with Cabin Overheat Protection on today 109 degrees currently in Barstow, CA is that it utilized 10% of battery % over 3-4hrs while sitting parked in a secure parking lot with the windows in "vent" mode.

How hot has any "Desert Southwest" owners let their interiors reach.

Does not using "COP" void any part of the warranty?
I wouldn’t think so. Cabin Overheat is only good for 12 hours. It also stops at 20% battery.

Cabin Overheat Protection on today 109 degrees currently in Barstow, CA is that it utilized 10% of battery % over 3-4hrs while sitting parked in a secure parking lot with the windows in "vent" mode.
I find this highly unlikely that overheat protection is responsible for all that energy use because my own experience shows that sentry mode uses about 7% in 24 hours without overheat protection and with it, while parked on an open parking lot under Florida sun with windows rolled up all the way, about 8% per 24 hours. Something else is draining your battery.

In general, electronics don't like high heat for longevity. Older Tesla had both screens have issues. I wouldn't leave my phone in the car by accident in southern states.

hot_cars_graphic-fahrenheit.jpeg
You can see numbers like that inside a car on a 65F day

Reactions: Falcon73
Our old (dark blue) 2017 MX is a sweat-box of a vehicle. As I posted in the road trips area, the drive from Mesquite to Las Vegas really felt like we were in the Valley of Fire.

I just got our MX checked again today and they say the AC is fully functional. It's hard to believe it could be so poor.

My parents live in Palm Desert, but they let me park in the garage there, which is good, but it's still super hot in the garage. Like 110 this past weekend, but it gets much hotter.

We have shades all around our house as I have a great appreciation for the destructive power of the sun. Our MY gets the garage here at home,, however.

I bought a push up 13x13' canopy for our MX and it makes a *massive* difference with the inside temps (our driveway is NW facing). The canopy is a few feet too short, so the hood or back/side will get sun at different times of the day, but it's still well worth the what $150 investment in the canopy. Especially with the FWD rubber already being mostly destroyed.

I've also tinted the windows and flat out covered the FWD top windows, the 3rd row windows along with the top half of the windshield and part of the hatch glass.

Cabin overheat protection always seems to suck the battery dry way too fast, so we don't use it.

Rn, I'm thinking about wrapping our MX in a much lighter color vs dark blue (though I love the look now).

I wish we could drive around with the canopy but that *might* reduce the efficiency a "little" and make us an oversized vehicle.

In general, electronics don't like high heat for longevity. Older Tesla had both screens have issues. I wouldn't leave my phone in the car by accident in southern states.

hot_cars_graphic-fahrenheit.jpeg
Thank you for this informative thread. This is why I thought we had climate control for over 100 is because the main screen that controls everything in my model y does not want to be at over 100° f. Is that not true? I am actually getting confused people are concerned about leaving their sunglasses or phone in the car but not concerned about the screen that is our entire dashboard?

Thank you for this informative thread. This is why I thought we had climate control for over 100 is because the main screen that controls everything in my model y does not want to be at over 100° f. Is that not true? I am actually getting confused people are concerned about leaving their sunglasses or phone in the car but not concerned about the screen that is our entire dashboard?
It's really for survivable human protection. But It only runs for twelve hours. Multi-day it will shut off. The electronics will be fine, they were built to withstand very high temps, after it is in a car.

It's really for survivable human protection. But It only runs for twelve hours. Multi-day it will shut off. The electronics will be fine, they were built to withstand very high temps, after it is in a car.
Okay that's reassuring. I did wonder if it runs for 12 hours and then comes back on the next day for the hottest 12 hours of the day. But are you saying that it will not run for more than one 12 hour day?
I put a windshield block in the car but it didn't seem to help much the other day when I put it in, I also tried a roof filter, but none of it kept it below 100°
Thanks

Okay that's reassuring. I did wonder if it runs for 12 hours and then comes back on the next day for the hottest 12 hours of the day. But are you saying that it will not run for more than one 12 hour day?
I put a windshield block in the car but it didn't seem to help much the other day when I put it in, I also tried a roof filter, but none of it kept it below 100°
Thanks
From the owners manual...

Cabin Overheat Protection: Reduce the
temperature of the cabin in extremely hot
ambient conditions for a period of up to
twelve hours after you exit Model X (see
Cabin Overheat Protection on page 162).
Cabin Overheat Protection stops operating
after 12 hours, or when the energy remaining
in the Battery drops to 20%, whichever occurs
first.

I interpret that to mean 12 hours after you last leave the vehicle. I would guess (haven't tested) that means NO on the next day. Unless you at least get in the car, resetting the twelve hour timer. Again, I haven't tested for it.