Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd Sentry Mode Issue, support can't diagnose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NHK X

Nov 18, 2017
Texas
Mystery symptoms for my tesla, please help if you have had similar issues or understand how to solve it. This is for my 2017 model X 75D, HW2.5/MCU 1 EAP/FSD currently on 2019.24.2.

So I've had a few ongoing issues with sentry mode since it came out. First off, notice my card getting corrupted and full every 3 weeks. Tried multiple cards with no change in behavior. Currently have a 32g Samsung card. When looking through saved sentry mode videos, I notice that the car will record for about 10 minutes straight during and after parking, always. Over time this is what is filling up my card I've noticed. It does also record the usual sentry mode videos when it is activated by proximity.

For the past month, both on current firmware version and prior, I've been getting alerts to my iPhone stating sentry mode has been turned off. "Sentry mode has turned off due to a sentry system error." Attached below. It usually occurs around 1-3 pm, my car sits parked outside the hospital I work at. When I look at the app under controls, sentry is turned off. Early on I would turn sentry mode back on only to have it turn off 10-15 minutes later. Now I don't mess with it, and I still get multiple alerts saying it is turned off. Yesterday I had 3. When I get back in the car, dashcam seems to be working well (no grey x).

In terms of diagnostics, I've had multiple virtual diagnostics, early on they detected a faulty sensor that could be activating and keeping the car awake. Had that fixed recently, and still getting errors. I've done multiple hard resets (both scroll wheel and turn off), I let my car go to sleep at home in garage (sentry mode automatically turned off), plugged in and on wifi. Recently updated firmware as well, with no change in behavior. At the recent service visit the tech assessed the proximity sensors as well. Calling to customer support has been the usual try the reset/virtual diagnostics and I haven't really gotten anywhere. This doesn't seem to be a common system issue, most of the customer service techs had never heard of this alert.

All this matters to me more since I moved to Texas recently and had my door damaged right after sentry mode stopped working. The appearance of the dent looks deliberate in nature. There is a lot of anti-Tesla sentiment here and I want to keep the cameras up and running as much as possible.

I like to say I keep good tabs on how the vehicle works and like to think that I'm tech savvy but this is beyond me. If anyone one these forums has any idea how to fix this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

N

IMG_0106.PNG