Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old tires/wheels on a newer Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if these tires/wheels would work on a newer Model S (Jan 2018) vin about F232100. I currently have 19” all seasons on.

Tesla 19" Wheels set of 4

They appear to be the older style but when you order winter tires off of the Tesla shop page it asks if your vin is less than or greater than P50900. Maybe they ask for fit or look, I’m not sure.

The VIN question has to do with the original TPMS sensors not the tires or wheels themselves.

Frankly a LOT of the older cars have been updated to the newer TPMS system anyway.

When buying used rims I would go ahead and assume the TPMS sensors batteries are dead anyway so I would just budget in new sensors.

Reactions: croman
Hm, that’s a good point. The batteries may be shot but the wheel should fit.

I found the braking in the Model S to be lacking. It’s a lot of weight to stop I guess, but I was hoping to get Subaru like winter performance with an awd Tesla. Maybe snow tires will do that.

Hm, that’s a good point. The batteries may be shot but the wheel should fit.

I found the braking in the Model S to be lacking. It’s a lot of weight to stop I guess, but I was hoping to get Subaru like winter performance with an awd Tesla. Maybe snow tires will do that.

Many here will tell you EVs are maintence free and the brakes last forever due to regen in a snowy climate you need to dismantle and lubricate the brakes. What happens is the pads seize in the caliper, the Pistons flex the pad to meet the rotor but then act like a spring and push the pistons back too deep resulting in garbage pedal feel and a lot of wasted pedal/pad travel.

Many here will tell you EVs are maintence free and the brakes last forever due to regen in a snowy climate you need to dismantle and lubricate the brakes. What happens is the pads seize in the caliper, the Pistons flex the pad to meet the rotor but then act like a spring and push the pistons back too deep resulting in garbage pedal feel and a lot of wasted pedal/pad travel.

My Solution once a week:

1. Hammer the accelerator to 50mph (80kph)
2. Enjoy the euphoric feeling of g forces pushing you back into the seat lol.
3. Brake aggressively (not slam them) back to 20mph and then to a stop.
4. Repeat 2-3x. :)

You will clear out a lot of brake dust and built up sludge as well as keep the pistons and calipers from seizing due to low use or inactivity.

Once a day on #1 and #2 will result in increased satisfaction and ownership experience. Lol

2012-2016 5 spoke wheels will fit exact same as 2017-2019.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
While that is fun, the pads still need to have contact points to the caliper lubricated periodically.

When I had my 2014 P85 in for service I got a loaner P85D which being AP had a different brake booster system. VERY different feel which I thought was down to the booster...........till I redid the brakes on my car. If you are not happy with the pedal feel and such, dismantle, clean and lube you will be shocked.

While that is fun, the pads still need to have contact points to the caliper lubricated periodically.

When I had my 2014 P85 in for service I got a loaner P85D which being AP had a different brake booster system. VERY different feel which I thought was down to the booster...........till I redid the brakes on my car. If you are not happy with the pedal feel and such, dismantle, clean and lube you will be shocked.

Jokes aside, I agree. Brake servicing is part of any normal service plan on ice cars which makes it all the more necessary on EV’s with regen.