Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the road in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BridgeMojo

Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2018
Monrovia, CA
Just a couple of fun pictures, stopped by the Cadillac Ranch neAmarillo. In the distance are the famous planted Cadillacs.
IMG_20190319_174026.jpg
IMG_20190319_174111.jpg

Here in Texas we must buy and pay for the vehicle while it's still in California, but Tesla can ship it to us once the car is ours because that's interstate commerce and falls under federal regulations. I picked mine up at the Tesla service/delivery center in Houston located on the north side of town.

And at the moment we can get our cars serviced here, though there are some headaches as I discovered once when I stopped in at Tesla's service center only (no deliveries) on the west side of Houston to ask about a minor issue and the process was:
  1. Email sent to California with my info and issue
  2. Wait for California to receive email
  3. Wait for California to create Service Ticket
  4. Only then could the service center work on the vehicle
"At the moment" is due to this - Texas is trying to block Tesla from even servicing its cars in direct sale battle with car dealers

If you saw a car carrier in Texas there's a good chance those cars were going somewhere in Texas. My car was delivered in Texas and I have it serviced here at the service center in Austin, TX. On any given day if you go to the service center in Austin, you can't even park because the lot is filled with Teslas. There are also service centers in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Plano. There are 16 gallery stores in Texas as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: 1375mlm
Tesla sells a lot of vehicles in Texas. We live in the Houston area - and were one of the first Model S owners since early 2013. In the early days, there were so few Model S cars that we were getting stopped coming out of restaurants and people frequently taking pictures of our car at stop lights.

Today, things are much different - we usually see many S/3/X vehicles when driving around town.

The lack of direct sales is no big deal. For our first purchase, it was more challenging because the nearest open Service Center was in Denver, so Tesla had UPS ship our S to our front door. Once the Service Centers were open, Tesla has improved the delivery process so it's not that different from purchasing from another dealership, except requiring us to pay for the vehicle (by transferring funds using our bank's website or smartphone app) prior to taking possession.

As for service, we've always had great response from the Service Centers and haven't noticed any issues because Tesla centralizes the service center support in California. And even if the talked-about bill passes (low probability) and it does impact Tesla's ability to operate Service Centers (which the bill's author disputes), it shouldn't be too difficult for Tesla to work around the restrictions.

If you're visiting Texas with a Tesla - you shouldn't have any problems if you need service (though Texas is a big state, and if you aren't in one of the large cities, you could have a long drive to the nearest service centers).

Reactions: BridgeMojo
Stopped there on our way to Wisconsin last June. Was in a loaner S100D as my 3's computer was being replaced. Free supercharging was a nice perk for not having my own car, but because it was a loaner I couldn't monitor it remotely and thus didn't realize we'd picked a slow charger until later when I'd walked out to check the status.

That trip was our first experience with the Superchargers so I didn't realize that could occur. For the rest of the trip we'd wait until the charging speed ramped up before heading into the restaurant.