Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OnBoard Charger Failure & Repair UK/Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just wondering if anyone on here understands how the european/worldwide 3phase gen3 AC Onboard Charging unit works for the Model S & X.

I've replaced mine and it was working fine all night but now the first phase refuses to accept any input voltage.

I replaced it as the previous unit had failed on both phase 2 & 3 and wouldn't charge any faster than 24amp on a single phase.

The shot below is the diagnostic screen I can get to, I can't use the in car screen as it begins to load and then stalls. The car also has a warning in the dash binnacle of "Low Disk Space"

I have tried a scroll wheels reset but that doesn't clear it. Supercharging still seemingly works as well as that just bypasses the OBC AC charger from what I can see.
Any help would be appreciated folks.

Update just added another diagnostic shot. As usual Google brings up burger all for the fault codes 🤦‍♂️ and I don't have access to the Tesla portal that lists them all.

Digging into this I think the 1st phase onboard charger is ok, but the fuse has blown 😔
If I strip it down I can get the cover off and then replace the fuse in with, obviously disconnecting the firemans loop to kill the high voltage system.
Does anyone have a part number for a suitable replacement at all?

I may not be using the correct term, the item I think that has blown is covered in the pinkish coloured pad ms may be a resistor. Each board has 2, one for Live and one for Neutral.
1000118607.png
1000118601.png
1000118635.jpg

Can you pull off the pink pad? Once off, there may be markings on the part (fuse or resistor) to identify what it is. Looking at the photo - it looks more like a fuse to me. If unpowered (i.e. zero voltages), you should be able to remove a good one and test it with a multimeter too.

Sorry for not updating this earlier.

I've found the part number for the fuses.

Other sources are likely available but this was the easiest I could find.

Replacing it lead to it blowing again so there is a fault further into the board.

Radwell Electronics are picking the unit up on Monday now as they would like to have a look and see what they are like inside and as 2 boards work and 1 is dead if makes for easier comparison as well if they can do voltage injection or something fancier to get power flowing across and see what's busted.

Used ones are hit and miss as well as I have found out, as I now have 2 part dead units.
I could make 1 good unit out of them but the stripping down would be time consuming. It's easier to see if it can be repaired as is. With a new unit being £1700+VAT + Fitting I'd rather see if they can be repaired. It may even be worth my time to buy another and have a repaired unit that's for sale on an exchange basis and offer shipping as I can not see anyone in Europe offering this that actually replied to requests. To be fair one company did, but they quoted €3500 and they need the car as well to check wiring.

As the cars get older I think this won't be a money maker but would likely be a good service to help us now most vehicles fitted with them are out of warranty as they are not covered in the battery and drivetrain warranty.