Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year Anniversary - The Good, The Bad and The Interesting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On August 25th, 2022 we traded our 2020 LR AWD Model Y in on a 2022 Model Y Performance. We took delivery from the Delivery Center in Bloomington IL, 160 miles from our home in southern Illinois. So we had 163 miles on it when we arrived home. Our MYP was delivered with the Michelin All Season tires. I asked if I was supposed to get the factory PPF by the dog leg and front mud flaps and without an argument they took the car back to the Service Center and 30 minutes later it was returned with these accessories installed. My Y was caught up in the UMC changeover, so I paid the $200 when we placed our order, when we noticed one wasn't in the car, again without hesitation, they got one for us. More on that later. We were IN and OUT in about an hour. Kudos to the delivery team.
wAJJR58.jpg

The first thing we did was get some PPF installed, I dropped it off on August 26th the day after delivery. My detailer offers a "Track Pack" which I had on my 2020, it covers the front bumper, fenders, hood, mirrors, A-pillars, door edges, and the rear bumper by the tailgate, and he tinted the front door glass with ceramic tint, my bill came to $1880. I highly recommend them if you're in the St Louis area. I picked the car up from Precision Detailing in St Louis on August 30th around 6 pm.
5jGQThc.jpg

By now the car had about 400 miles on it. Little did I know that less than 18 hours after this photo was taken our new MPY would be DEAD and on a FLATBED truck.

Here's the BAD: The next morning on August 31st I went to run an errand and when I tapped the brake pedal it threw a bunch of error codes and was UNDRIVABLE.
tNL55WN.jpg

Contacted Tesla Road Side Assistance within an hour a flatbed was at our home and our new MYP was headed to the Service Center over in St. Louis (about 40 miles away).
IJwZIvL.jpg

It was delivered around 12:30. I called and was told they would get to it the next day which was a Friday. So I asked about a loaner, and they said they wanted to troubleshoot it first. So on Friday morning, I got a call from the SC around 9:30 informing me it looked like a "faulty" wiring harness and they would have to order one, given it was Friday morning they couldn't guarantee I'd get the car back by Monday or even Tuesday so my Service Advisor informed me a car was being returned about 1 pm and I could have that one. A neighbor drove me over. I was given a 2017 X P90D and discovered it had Ludicrous Mode and it was UNLOCKED. So away I went.
cXCDjd1.mp4

It wound up taking longer to get the part for various reasons as the Service Center in Chicago said they dispatched it that same day (Friday afternoon) but it turned out, they didn't so it was sent out late Monday afternoon. Then FedEx mishandled it and it wasn't delivered until Thursday morning. I got the car back just as the SC was closing on Friday, September 9th with fingers crossed it was repaired. Our new MYP was out of commission for over 9 days of the 15 days I owned it. I posted a lengthy post with all the details. But I had a ball with the X P90D, and after the second day, my wife refused to ride with me saying I was acting like a teenager. Since then the Y has been a ROCK.

The first mod I made was replacing the 21" UT tires/wheels for some 18s from TSportLine fitted with 245/50 Michelin Pilot Sports the day before we took our first road trip. They had about 500 miles on them when they came off.
bO3yRjh.jpg

mL3A1y7.jpg

howQI9U.jpg

On Sept 15th we took our first road trip. 1990 miles from our home in southern IL to visit our grandkids in southern MD.

12-Month Statics:
Ybhq5cx.jpg

12-Month Charging Statics:
nM1sNKJ.png

SUMMARY: During the 12 months we drove 10,493 miles and took 3 long road trips totaling about 5080 miles (two trips to Maryland and one to Tennesse) or about 48% of the total miles driven

Lifetime wh/mi: 278. Pretty darned good for a MYP and I have a lead foot as my wife will attest.

For fun I borrowed a buddy's DRAGY and here are the results from a COLD battery in cool temps.
5Ei6neU.png

My friend (who also owns an MYP with some TSportLine 19s) thinks I left something on the table by not tricking the battery into "pre-conditioning" before making the run. I might borrow it again and see if there is more in the old gal.

Oh as Paul Harvey always said, now The Rest Of The Story. Remember I mentioned I pre-paid for a UMC when we placed our order, but didn't get one, so the Delivery Center gave us one during delivery. 3 months later out of the blue, I get a FedEx shipping notice from Tesla. They were sending me the UMC I paid for. So I wound up with TWO UMCs.

So all in all our year has been a joy and we love the MYP with the softer and smoother riding 18s. We are headed to Maryland on Sept 9th and when we get back I'll have the tires rotated, by then I'll have over 13K miles on them, and even today they look brand new.

Last edited:
Good review. Dang, having issues the 1st couple of days and needed to be towed to the dealer - reminds me of my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited on day 3 would not start in the garage and a sensor was on back order for weeks. That’s never a good feeling.

Dang, PPF + tint + new wheels and tires, that’s a big big expense to add from the get go.