Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent rim after curbing it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we first got our Tesla a year ago, we had family visit and they managed to curb the drive rear wheel on our Performance Model Y. Then a few months after that, my wife curbed the passenger rear wheel.

I didn't think much of it, and just went on with my day, it was bound to happen sooner than later.

What surprised me the most though, is we go get the tires replaced today at Costco, I get a call, and then guy tells me my rim is bent and was pretty wobbly on the balancing machine. I asked him if it was bad enough deeming a replacement, he told me it's pretty wobbly they were able to balance it, but at speed I may notice a wobble.

Which is kind of surprising to me, not my first car, not my first rodeo, but I feel like I'm pretty in-tune when something doesn't feel right. I guess I'll find out this afternoon how bad it is when I go pick it up and drive it home, but I'm surprised I didn't notice anything before.

Anyone else had their rim bent from curbing it? Both of the curbing were done at very slow speed 5MPH or less.

Below 5mph doesn't say much. There's a big difference between barely scraping the curb at 0-1mph, versus smacking straight into it at 5mph. That said, bent rims isn't uncommon for the performance rims, due to little sidewall, but mostly from potholes. Are you sure you never hit potholes?