Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OPINION: Model X 22in Wheel - curb rash repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I had some minor curb rash on one of the MX wheels that was recently repaired. The detailer that did the PPF/ceramic/tints etc is extremely reputable, and sends all of his powdercoating work to the same place. Here is the wheel after repair.

Note - if you look close enough there is a very small portion of the wheel that has these small beads on the surface. My detailer says he's happy to have it redone, but says there is a 95% chance of something similar. Any thoughts?

The other small particles are just dust :) I'm very meticulous, but also trust this detailer as he does too many cars to count and is highly respected.

Attachments

• IMG_7764.jpg
    IMG_7764.jpg
    664.8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_7765.jpg
    IMG_7765.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 120
I know companies like HRE control the temps when powder coating to minimize affecting the integrity of the wheels while achieving the desired finish. Hard to say if that is also done at other places, but safe to assume its not and repeated powder coating isn't the best for the integrity of these wheels and the weight of the model X.

I just put my 22s on and the tow company damaged all 4 with the tow straps. But hard to see from 5 feet away. Not bad enough to refinish yet. But my wheels are coated as well and i wonder if that might affect any refinishing with ceramics particles on the wheels of floating around after sand blasting and redepositing on the wheel surface