Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on suspension damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife doesn't "remember hitting anything", but her 2017 MS started showing several alerts and the SC checked it out and sent me this:

In the middle of the photo is the upper link, that is kind of “dog bone” shaped. It should be straight, but the impact to the wheel buckled it in the middle.
Attached to it you can see the small black plastic suspension level sensor, which is now reading incorrectly, and contributing to the alerts.
Beyond that , it makes the wheel and tire not track with the others, adding additional traction control alerts.
The arm, and the Hub/Bearing assy on the right side of the photo (which transferred all that force from the wheel, to this arm), need to be replaced, and then the alignment re-set.

Estimate to repair - $1000ish. Does this seem reasonable?
Thanks!
PXL_20201119_011819935.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Lubestaff
From this angle, the bent piece doesn't look that difficult to replace yourself if you're somewhat handy. I see eccentric bolts so you'd need an alignment on that wheel, but $1000 seems steep. Have you researched what that part costs on ebay?

Edit: I didn't read your whole post. If the hub/bearing assembly also needs to be replaced, that drives the cost up a bit, but perhaps this is still something you could DIY.

My wife doesn't "remember hitting anything", but her 2017 MS started showing several alerts and the SC checked it out and sent me this:

update:

My wife's 2017 MS is at the SC waiting parts for a different, but maybe related issue, that dogbone shaped piece was crumpled by a minor curb hit.

So she remembered something? A "minor curb hit" with a heavy car with the Model S is actually quite a lot.

Depends on how much they’re charging for labor and how much of that is parts?

I slid my bmw M5 into a curb and ended up with a 2700 dollar bill, 2400 of it was parts.

As @MP3Mike pointed out, what seems to be a minor curb hit with heavy cars is not always minor when it comes to the damage it can cause.

There might also be additional damage. That estimate sounds reasonable.

Realize that it is just an estimate, and the costs could be more or less, depending on what they find.
Huh? Makes no sense really, are you saying the estimate is higher because there COULD be additional damage?

When it comes to suspension there’s no guess work involved, when I took my bmw in they took it apart and told me exactly which parts need to be replaced, exactly how much they will cost and exactly how much the labor would be. 1 week later I paid exactly what I was told when the car was brought it. No maybes no probably, none of that. This isn’t a software issue where maybe it’s this or that, it’s a clear hardware problem, a part is broken, you replace it.

Last edited:
update:

So she remembered something? A "minor curb hit" with a heavy car with the Model S is actually quite a lot.
Yeah, she thinks "maybe a slow speed pothole in a parking lot". I've been reading the new class action lawsuit in CA and it sounds like alot of MS (2013-2018) owners are having damage at very low speeds. This lawsuit pertains to suspension control arm and components. Of course, in my situation, I'm curious if it could be related.
https://www.classaction.org/media/williams-v-tesla-inc.pdf