Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Hawaii Tesla Owners

Opti-Coat Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WeazL

Moderator - Hawaii
Aug 18, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
Hi Everyone,

This post is a followup to a discussion on the main forum: Hawaii Tesla Model S accessories - Page 4 ...jump to post #34.

Out of respect for their business, I am not posting their pricing where it can be seen by the general public, but will post it here where it is visible to the Hawaii Tesla owners. Below is the response from Shea's Luxury Detail (I've omitted some congratulatory and introductory text):

-----

We've taken care of a couple of Tesla S customers and even a Tesla Roadster. As for the detail we would be more than happy to be of service to you and also the Tesla owners club. Below is a list the services along with the price for each EXTERIOR ONLY service.

Stage 1 paint correction (up to 60 to 70% correction can be achieved) $380
Opti-coat application - $100 (Opti-coat supplied by customer); $170 (Opti-Coat not supplied by customer)
Wheel Sealant applied - $50 (1 coating, coating provided by customer and wheels not taking off vehicle)

As for a club sponsorship we would be honored. We extend a discount of 15% off of services and products to sponsored clubs (i.e. Porsche Club of Hawaii, BMW Club of Hawaii, Team Mansu to name a few) In turn we would ask for some support in return such as any social media, Yelp reviews from members, Google+ reviews, Forums, ect.

Please feel free to e-mail or call us if you have any questions.

Thank You,

Shea Mirafuentes
Owner/Operator

Shea's Luxury Detail - Honolulu location
1317 Mookaula Street
Honolulu, HI 96817

Phone: 808-744-9059
Shea's Luxury Detail - Shea's Luxury Detail Hawaii
-----

By the way, Opti-coat can be applied to the rims too, so if you plan on applying this stuff, tell them to use the same stuff for the rims--there's no separate sealant necessary. Based on his reply, he will extend a 15% discount to his services if you mention that you are a Tesla Club member.

Here's his company profile on Yelp, where you can read reviews from previous customers. Sheas Luxury Detail - Kalihi - Honolulu, HI

He replied timely to my request (on a Saturday no less.) I plan to visit his shop this week and meet him in person. Has anyone here used his service before? I may have them do my Opti-Coat application to avoid the day long headache of doing it myself. If I do, I'll post pics and feedback.

Cheers,

Weazl

Haven't used Shea's before but he's on the short list of detailers that I've been thinking about contacting about detailing for our cars. He's got a great rep. So just to clarify, Matt, for the stage 1 paint correction, it'd be $380 - the 15% discount?

Just FYI - the cost in Florida is $750 for a Model S and $700 for a Roadster....could be a little more or less depending on the level of paint correction work needed. For this area that's a really good price, I know folks who have been quoted over $1,000!

Your HI price looks very good, worth remembering that most of the cost is labor and so depends on local hourly rates. Double check if the cost includes prepping, that takes some time and materials. Oh, and have somebody do one car first and then commit to the more cars; that way you can see what it looks like.

Note that paint correction should be done under arc lights and then checked in bright daylight, a good detailer will be offering to do it like that and his shop should be full of portable lights.

I'm going to drop by his shop this week to meet him in person and see how things look. From pictures online, it seems to match Nigel's description.

@ drtko147, the paint correction is the prepping prior to applying Opti Coat and he should ensure the car is ready--he has performed applications of Opti Coat before and his shop has also specializes in GTechniq, which is what Nigel had put on his roadster, and is similar in application to Opti Coat. He will prep the car just like he does for GTechniq, and then sub the Opti Coat instead of the GTechniq.

Will post a followup after I check it out.

Paint correction will vary from car to car; yes it does depend on the level of imperfections in the original painting (no car will be 'perfect') but it also makes a huge difference how you've been cleaning/detailing your car. Anyone who didn't use micro-fiber cloths etc. prepare to feel embarrassed......

Opyi Coat is a permanent, one time application that lasts the life of the car. This is because at a molecular level, when applied correctly, it results in a covalent bond between the Opti Coat and the clear coat that is 1-2um thick. This is why it is imperative that the car is cleaned correctly and so thoroughly. Otherwise it will bond to residue and come off. Applied correctly, Opti Coat is 10 times stronger than the clear coat and will last the lifetime of the car.

After application, you can treat your car just like you did before. You can apply your favorite wax if you wish, however, it likely will not last very long as the way Opti Coat is designed, not much will stick to it--that's why it works so well as a repellent. Nigel mentioned its hydrophobic effect on his Roadster. Naturally, however, it will lose its water repellency over an extended period of time (years), but the underlying scratch protection will continue. That's when one may consider waxing for water repellency. But, in the end, you can apply wax etc anytime you want--but wait about a week after installation if you decide to.

I met with Shea yesterday to go over what I'd like done and setup an appointment for this week. After discussing with him about various products that are available, I opted to go a different route and have a product called 22PLE applied. It is a glass based protective coating--yes, silica (glass) based coating that is *guaranteed* to last a minimum of two years. I've also opted for them to do the wheels as well. They will unmount each wheel, completely clean the entire rim inside and out and apply the coating to them before remounting. He said that with this stuff, the water pressure from a hose should be enough to clean the car and it will bead nearly dry all on its own. Here's hoping! He uses the 22PLE on his own vehicle.

I'll post pics after the application and let you know my impressions after it's done.

Price breakdown is as follows for the services I'm having done:

Stage 1 paint correction (light) - $380
22PLE VX1 Vehicle Coating - $300
22PLE VM1 Rim/Wheel Coating - $200
Total: $880

Thanks, nanimac. I'll post pics and info on the public side. As for the discount, it was applied to the rates above, so my cost was as follows:

Stage 1 paint correction (light) - $380
22PLE VX1 Vehicle Coating - $300
22PLE VM1 Rim/Wheel Coating - $200
Sub-Total: $880
G.E.T. (tax): $41.47
Less 15% (club discount) -$132

Grand Total: $789.47

I am very pleased with the results!

Matt - how is the 22PLE holding up with daily usage? I've been dealing with Robert at Automotive Emporium in regards to my wife's Ridgeline and been pleased with his work for paint correction, water spot removal, and XPEL installation on the roof - they offer C Quartz as an option as well but wanted to hear about your 22PLE experience before spending the bucks one way or another.

Masaki

It's now October 15th and the 22PLE is still beading water great. I have an area where bird poo sat on it for a bit too long and the 22PLE seems to have taken the brunt of it--will bring it to Shea's to polish out as it's guaranteed against bird poo etching. So far, I'm very pleased!