Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Option for child seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnneBoleyn

Anne Boleyn
Oct 15, 2016
USA
this may have been answered, but I am uncertain of whether or not the model 3 will have the option for child seats like the model S does? Not the built in car seats, but the extra seats for kids under 12? This will make all the difference in my decision to buy for 2018.

this may have been answered, but I am uncertain of whether or not the model 3 will have the option for child seats like the model S does? Not the built in car seats, but the extra seats for kids under 12? This will make all the difference in my decision to buy for 2018.

No. No hatchback and smaller trunk makes that option impossible. Model S only has those (I have/love them!!) and if you're interested in $1000 off referral code, please send me a PM or use code ellen6634

Always happy to discuss with you -- PM me your number if you'd like or I can send you mine.

Reactions: CTreast
Model S seats up to 7... five adults and two small children (if you get the optional rear facing seats).

The Model 3 seats 5 adults (Arguably more comfortably than the S) but as @MelaniainLA mentioned there's no possibility of two rear facing seats because the Model 3 is both a smaller car and not a hatchback.

It's a totally foreign concept to me how this could be a driving factor of a purchasing decision... One would think the Model X or future Model Y would be a better choice for that many passengers (safer too).

It's a totally foreign concept to me how this could be a driving factor of a purchasing decision... One would think the Model X or future Model Y would be a better choice for that many passengers (safer too).

Honestly as a father of 3 kids I really dislike the X. I can see where the OP is coming from with the question because in my eyes the X doesn't really provide much more utility than an S. The back seats are very cramped. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my parents back there. We have driven both large SUV's like a Tahoe or Suburban and a Odyssey. For those cars an adult easily fits in the 3rd row. On the X the hard backs on the middle row make the 3rd row pretty uncomfortable in my eyes. Add on the fact that the middle seats when you have the 3rd row don't lay flat for the times you need to strategically put your kids and large items in the car at the same time. My wife and I went in with an open mind for the X to replace our Honda Odyssey and it really isn't an option for us either.

For the S it might make sense because when we needed to we could put kids back there no different than having the 3rd row for the S. And if the 3 had that it would be at a much better price point so that would be an option I would definitely get. I understand why it cannot have the 3rd row jump seats but the X is too costly and too much of a compromise but if you had the same compromise in a 35k car I could imagine that parents might prefer that.

Reactions: JeffK
Honestly as a father of 3 kids I really dislike the X. I can see where the OP is coming from with the question because in my eyes the X doesn't really provide much more utility than an S. The back seats are very cramped. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my parents back there. We have driven both large SUV's like a Tahoe or Suburban and a Odyssey. For those cars an adult easily fits in the 3rd row. On the X the hard backs on the middle row make the 3rd row pretty uncomfortable in my eyes. Add on the fact that the middle seats when you have the 3rd row don't lay flat for the times you need to strategically put your kids and large items in the car at the same time. My wife and I went in with an open mind for the X to replace our Honda Odyssey and it really isn't an option for us either.

For the S it might make sense because when we needed to we could put kids back there no different than having the 3rd row for the S. And if the 3 had that it would be at a much better price point so that would be an option I would definitely get. I understand why it cannot have the 3rd row jump seats but the X is too costly and too much of a compromise but if you had the same compromise in a 35k car I could imagine that parents might prefer that.

Were you looking at 6 seat or 7 seat MX? Two adults seemed comfortable enough as long as it was a six seater.

We replaced an Audi Q5 and a Honda Odyssey with a MX. Our needs were more around passengers than cargo capacity so that worked for us.

Were you looking at 6 seat or 7 seat MX? Two adults seemed comfortable enough as long as it was a six seater.

We replaced an Audi Q5 and a Honda Odyssey with a MX. Our needs were more around passengers than cargo capacity so that worked for us.

We were looking at a 7 seat in the showroom. We would need 7 seats. We have 5 for our family and when my parents are here (a few times a year) we need 2 more seats.

We were looking at a 7 seat in the showroom. We would need 7 seats. We have 5 for our family and when my parents are here (a few times a year) we need 2 more seats.

Seems to me I'd shove the kids in the rear sets and put the parents in middle. :D Also seems you would not need the rear seats most of the time so it would just be folded down.

We looked at 7 seats but changed to 6 after sitting inside both versions.

Instead of keeping the boat of an Odyssey around, we also replaced that with a really cheap old Dodge Caravan when lots of things needs to be transported. X met the needs all but 2-3 times per year which we felt was pretty impressive.

Honestly as a father of 3 kids I really dislike the X. I can see where the OP is coming from with the question because in my eyes the X doesn't really provide much more utility than an S. The back seats are very cramped. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my parents back there.

At least with the X you could put the parents back there, even if they weren't particularly comfortable. With an S you can't put them in the third row, and you won't be be able to when they get older. Third row in the S is also pretty impractical for long trips, as the HVAC doesn't work back there well at all.

• Disagree
Reactions: MelaniainLA