Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order from Dealer or Directly from Tesla (in NJ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any advantages to ordering through a Tesla dealer vs online? There are a couple of locations in NJ I think - not really interested in going for a test drive.

Does picking it up from a dealer mean you have more control if there are problems with fit and finish?

Any difference in pricing?

Any difference in applying NJ state tax rebate of 5k?

Any advantage down the road for service of having a relationship established with a dealer?

Thanks.

Are there any advantages to ordering through a Tesla dealer vs online? There are a couple of locations in NJ I think - not really interested in going for a test drive.

Does picking it up from a dealer mean you have more control if there are problems with fit and finish?

Any advantage down the road for service of having a relationship established with a dealer?

Thanks.
The only advantage really is the potential to pick up an inventory car at a discount due to miles driven or defect. No difference in pricing, but your only option of getting the rebate of 5k is NON-PERFORMANCE version since the max msrp is 55k and performance exceeds that.
I'm sure relationship helps in all areas of life, so regardless if you're ordering online or at store, go develop that relationship.

Thanks.
My wife and I just walked in to the local Tesla “store” yesterday and bought a Model Y Performance off the lot. They were unloading multiple truckloads of these cars at the time and there are plenty of colors and options to choose from.
IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO ORDER THESE CARS, JUST GO BUY ONE OFF THE LOT.

My wife and I just walked in to the local Tesla “store” yesterday and bought a Model Y Performance off the lot. They were unloading multiple truckloads of these cars at the time and there are plenty of colors and options to choose from.
IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO ORDER THESE CARS, JUST GO BUY ONE OFF THE LOT.
???
Which location? Didn't know this was possible...

Just saw these taking the route 17 exit toward Paramus 20 min ago...

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_151143.jpg
    IMG_20200711_151143.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 55
Also, if it is convenient, it is best to show up in person and ask them which cars on the lot are available for immediate purchase. Calling on the phone or trying to check inventory online is pointless imo. The salesperson had me order online then she matched the VIN of the car we chose to the new order. The process then carries on as usual by paying online and us choosing a delivery date this week after they finish the pdi and detail the car.

Is it the store that you’d show up to or the delivery center itself?
In Seattle I went to the store yesterday and was told there’s no way to speed it up.
Also, if it is convenient, it is best to show up in person and ask them which cars on the lot are available for immediate purchase. Calling on the phone or trying to check inventory online is pointless imo. The salesperson had me order online then she matched the VIN of the car we chose to the new order. The process then carries on as usual by paying online and us choosing a delivery date this week after they finish the pdi and detail the car.

If anyone gets the same answer from 2 different show rooms, I'll buy dinner. I was traveling, I stopped in 3 different locations, got 3 completely different stories.
This is why I think the cybertruck roll out will be something between a circus and disaster. I pray it goes by who deposited first and on down the line. Their r rumors, and more rumors that 3 motors ,2motors then1 motor will be the que for production. And single motors I'll be like 39k model 3s. Never produced. And we that ordered one because that's all we need will never get a truck.

The process is technically the same with or without going to a physical location but if you go to a location you could get assigned an Advisor. This should happen automatically if you go for a test drive but if you don’t I think you can request that you get an Advisor. They could be helpful if you run into an issue throughout the process but kind of depends on the Advisor and the issue.

Reactions: Jashev