Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered RWD When Dual Motor was $5K, Change Fee to Add?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - so I was invited to configure on March 22nd, but didn't configure because I wanted to know what the dual motor pricing and specs would be. When it was revealed dual motor would be $5K, I went ahead and configured on May 20th.

After I was assigned a VIN, Tesla reduced the price to $4K. If I would have known the $4K price when I configured I would have opted to go with dual motor.

I asked my ISA if I would have to pay a change fee if I switched to dual motor, and he said yes, but I know the Tesla bureaucracy sometimes doesn't communicate that well.

My delivery date is July 16th.

I am willing to give Tesla more of my money for dual motor, and wonder if I can make my case to anyone that I shouldn't have to pay a change fee since the price decreased after VIN assignment. I am willing to wait another few months for the dual motor option

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Any suggestions?

Find another Tesla contact to give you the answer you want? The waiving of the fee, especially when upgrading, seems to be discretionary.

That said; A July 16 delivery date for an IL bound car likely means it is not only already built but on the train or parked in a lot somewhere nearby. That could make it very difficult at this point to convince them to waive the fee for the upgrade, maybe even to convince them to allow the upgrade at all since it'd need to be an entirely different car.